What to do When You Don’t Know What to do

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

As a college student, it can be nothing short of stressful trying to figure out what to do with your life. Heck, if you’re anything like myself, then you have problems even deciding what outfit to wear in the morning. You probably spend most of the day trying to convince yourself that everything will be okay but let’s face it, deep down inside, you probably feel something a bit more like this: 

No worries though, you’re not alone. Odds are, students everywhere are feeling the exact same way. It’s hard juggling between homework, internships, and a dwindling bank account because these forsaken establishments called Starbucks and Chipotle exist. Not to mention, you’ve been eyeing those new Hunter Boots in Dark Olive for quite some time now and I mean it has been a rough day… they were simply just calling your name and retail therapy has a name: yours. No backlash from me though, I agree you deserved it! 

But, how does one go about calming nerves and finding answers to all of life’s burning questions like:

• Am I going to live in a cardboard box upon graduation?
  • Is anyone ever going to hire me?
  • What am I going to do with my life?
  • Am I going to be forever alone and become a cat lady? Even worse, am I already a cat lady?

1. Stop Procrastinating

In a world made for binge watching Netflix and coffee runs to Starbucks, it can be hard not to get distracted from what’s really important. But, what’s helpful is making a list of things that are most important to get done throughout the day before you let yourself be tempted by that next Salted Caramel Mocha Frappuccino.  

2. Ask Yourself Questions

I mean those BIG life questions; the ones we so love to avoid like where do I see myself in 5 years? Think about the things that interest you and what things you would be doing if time and money were no issue. Meditate on these things and don’t hesitate to dream big. 

3. Make Yourself Known

Not only is it important for you to know other’s names; it’s important for others to know yours! Unfortunately, in today’s workplace, in order to get ahead it’s a lot of who you know. Be sure to start networking so that more opportunities won’t pass you by!

4. Volunteer or Job Shadow

Nothing is better than actually walking a mile in another person’s shoes… especially when they could actually be your shoes someday. Get out there and get experience in the field you see yourself in potentially in the future.

5. Save Money

I know, I know… how can one say Starbucks when their bank account keeps saying Dunkin’? But, financial planning is extremely essential to your success and comfortability in the future. If you haven’t yet, try setting up a budget and limit your splurges. Remember to ask yourself if you truly, need this.

6. Learn to get Comfortable with Discomfort

Life is full of all types of unpredictable events. Try your best at learning to get comfortable with discomfort. When adversity strikes, know that you can strike back harder and keep going. You got this!

7. Remeber That You Can’t Figure Out the Whole Future

No one has a crystal ball, so don’t try to pretend like you have to be the one to solve all of life’s mysteries! Take each day at a time, remain optimistic, and trust that things will work out okay. 

8. Stay in the Present Moment

Do you find yourself living in the past all while worrying about the future? How about the present… ever find yourself being robbed of the moment because of your fears? Stay focused on the present moment in order to be the most productive and maintain the best attitude. This will also help you to enjoy the ride of life more. 

9. Make Mistakes and Have Fun Doing it

None of us can grow if we don’t learn from our mistakes. Choose to view making mistakes as a positive rather than a negative and see how much your life improves for the better! 

10. Find Out Who Your Really Are

Self-Actualization is one of the most freeing feelings one will ever have. Do me a favor and go out and meet someone new today: YOURSELF! After and only after doing that, go out and meet someone else … trust me, the real you beats anything else you’ve been putting out there. (P.S.: this will cure any fear of being a cat lady in the future.) 

Lisa Mason is currently a Junior Marketing major with a minor in Management. She is a member of Activities Programming Board, Women in Business, Singers, and works as an Admissions Ambassador at Saint Vincent College. Since she has a passion for meeting and helping others; she hopes to use her field of Marketing to become a professor as well as become a Marketing Manager of a firm someday in a major city. You can find her enjoying time with her friends, drinking salted caramel cappuccinos, or blogging. Also, it wouldn't be the craziest thing in the world to say that she is a Netflix, caffeine, and retail therapy enthusiast. Follow her on Instagram: masonjar_17 and check out her blog at http://youngandtwenty.blogspot.com/.
Kaura Bassegio is a Saint Vincent College Alumna with a degree in marketing. As founder and former President of the St. Vincent chapter, Kaura worked on pitching ideas, editing, and leading a large team of women. Throughout her years at Saint Vincent, Kaura worked in the retail industry where she received her internship at American Eagle Outfitters. Now that she is a college graduate, Kaura will be focused on family, friends, and most importantly, finding a job! She is interested in fashion and her dream is to live and work in New York City. Follow her on Instagram: kauralbassegio