This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

There are so many incredible things about college that you simply can’t understand until you’re here. I can’t speak for anyone else, but when I was getting ready to leave home, I was terrified. Then, something crazy happened… I fell in love with everything about Saint Vincent. There’s a completely unique atmosphere on campus, and I’ve felt at home since day 1. There are a million things I’m thankful I’ve found since I started college, but here are the 5 that I NEVER saw coming. SVC, this one’s for you. 

1. My Second Family

Making friends at school essential, but you could never expect to get as close as you do (fifth floor of Saint Benedict Hall, I’m looking at you all on this one). You spend time your friends pretty much 24/7 in college, and it’s one of the best things in the world. There’s always someone to talk to, always someone to lean on, always someone to make you laugh. SVC, I can’t thank you enough for being home to such an amazing group of people. 

2. The Incredible Faculty

The “scary professor” stereotype doesn’t exist here, and I can’t thank SVC enough for that. The faculty at Saint Vincent are genuinely invested in each student’s success. At a larger school, the professor wouldn’t notice if Student #6784 wasn’t in class. Here, your absence is recognized with concern (as long as you’re not skipping every class). Your education is still your own responsibility, but having professors that aid you in any way they can is special. 

3. Never Being Bored

I don’t know how the Activities Programming Board does it, but there’s ALWAYS something going on at SVC. Some of my best memories so far have taken place at various APB events on and off campus. The opportunity to do more than just sit around in our dorm (on the off chance no one has homework) is awesome. So, SVC, thanks for being so interesting and fun.  

4. The Welcoming Community

From move-in day on, Saint Vincent feels like home. When you arrive on campus, the orientation committee is beyond enthusiastic, your prefect can’t wait to meet you, and everyone is smiling. Asking someone a question isn’t intimidating, it’s encouraged. The atmosphere of community is incredible, and it often goes unacknowledged. Saint Vincent, thank you for shaping everyone who comes here into such loving people.

5. You Don’t Get Tired of Being Here

I swear, campus doesn’t get less beautiful the more time you spend here. The Basilica is still breathtaking, and the buildings don’t lose their charm (okay, maybe the cafe gets a little old sometimes…) But for freshmen, and most likely everyone else, there’s always something new to discover, or somewhere you’ve never been. SVC, you never get less stunning. 

This week is all about appreciating everything about Saint Vincent. As I’m getting ready to spend a few days at home over Thanksgiving, I’m realizing just how much I’ll miss about my new home here. That, along with the 5 things listed above, is something no one could have anticipated. Saint Vincent is special for an unlimited amount of reasons, and I couldn’t be more thankful for that. 

I'm Megan Miller, a senior Psychology/Sociology double major and Children's Studies minor. You can find me giving campus tours, kicked back in the Fred Rogers Center, or on a date with my homework at the local coffee shop. If there's one thing you need to know about me, it's that I approach every day with one goal: make Michelle Obama proud.
Juli Cehula

St Vincent '18

Hello there! I am the Campus Correspondent of the Her Campus chapter at Saint Vincent College. As a senior psychology major, I've made the most of my time in undergrad and am excited for all the doors I have opening ahead of me. I can definitely thank Her Campus for giving me invaluable skills. As a future psychologist, I hope that my articles (and the chapter's) are able to make you feel empowered, motivate you to start a conversation, and be kind. As a hero of mine has said, "If you do not take control over your time and your life, other people will gobble it up. If you don't prioritize yourself, you constantly start falling lower and lower on your list."- Michelle Obama. Be the change you want to see in the world, and smile. Always smile!