Runner, Elizabeth (Libby) Volna

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

Name: Elizabeth (Libby) Volna

Year: Sophomore

Hometown: Meadville

Major: Biochemistry

Relationship Status: Single (wink, wink)

Her Campus (HC): What sports do you play?

Elizabeth (EV): “Cross Country and Track.”

HC: What was your most memorable moment from your cross-country season?

EV: “This past season at our Regional Championship Invitational I collided with a deer…it literally knocked me off my feet! It happened with about a mile left of the race. There were 365 girls in that race and somehow I was the only one to be hit by a deer. It’s crazy to think that if I had run one second slower or faster, I would not have this story to tell.”

HC: That’s pretty crazy! Do you think you’ll ever want to coach?

EV: “I would love to coach when I am retired. What’s better than telling a bunch of snarky teenagers to go run forever, while I just watch? Plus, it would be a great way to stay in shape when I am an old lady.”

HC: What else do you like to do in your spare time?

EV: “Well, music is very important to me. It’s rare that you see me without headphones in. I play three instruments: cello, ukulele, and piano. So I am usually practicing one of those. Other than that, I love hanging out with close friends and family.”

HC: Wow! I thought playing the piano was a big deal, I guess you got me beat! What made you choose Saint Vincent?

EV: “I wanted to go to a school where I can run competitively, without putting my academics second, and Saint Vincent allows for that. Saint Vincent has an immense amount of support for its student-athletes and I love it. Not to mention we have a campus trolley, which is awesome!”

HC: Awesome! I think it’s awesome here, too. What are your plans for the summer?

EV: “Last summer I got my CNA license, so I work at a nursing home when I am on breaks. I will be spending the majority of my summer taking care of the elderly and those less able, and I absolutely love it. Although sometimes messy, it is such a rewarding job. The elderly community deserves so much love…so everyone go visit your grandparents!”

HC: I heard last summer you went to Guatemala? Could you tell me about it? It sounds pretty awesome!

EV: “I went to Guatemala for two weeks to study healthcare and culture. We did various things. We measured the height and weight of children to study the prevalence child malnutrition. We also visited pharmacies and health clinics and compared them to the healthcare system in the United States. Long story short, we learned that impoverish countries do not prioritize their health, and as human beings we should seek to improve this problem. Guatemala is such a beautiful country and I would love to go back.”

HC: That really sounds like an incredible experience! Thank you so much for taking the time to interview with me today. Have a great rest of the semester!

Juli Cehula

St Vincent '18

Hello there! I am the Campus Correspondent of the Her Campus chapter at Saint Vincent College. As a senior psychology major, I've made the most of my time in undergrad and am excited for all the doors I have opening ahead of me. I can definitely thank Her Campus for giving me invaluable skills. As a future psychologist, I hope that my articles (and the chapter's) are able to make you feel empowered, motivate you to start a conversation, and be kind. As a hero of mine has said, "If you do not take control over your time and your life, other people will gobble it up. If you don't prioritize yourself, you constantly start falling lower and lower on your list."- Michelle Obama. Be the change you want to see in the world, and smile. Always smile!
Kaura Bassegio is a Saint Vincent College Alumna with a degree in marketing. As founder and former President of the St. Vincent chapter, Kaura worked on pitching ideas, editing, and leading a large team of women. Throughout her years at Saint Vincent, Kaura worked in the retail industry where she received her internship at American Eagle Outfitters. Now that she is a college graduate, Kaura will be focused on family, friends, and most importantly, finding a job! She is interested in fashion and her dream is to live and work in New York City. Follow her on Instagram: kauralbassegio