Reasons to Vote as a College Student: As Told by a Politics Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

Reasons to Vote as a College Student (As Told By a Politics Major)

Whether you’re tired of hearing about it or not, the next presidential election is fast approaching. Republican, Democrat, Libertarian, or Independent, make your vote count on Election Day! Here are ten reasons why you should vote:

1. To make your voice heard! We all have opinions about certain issues, and what better way to express them by getting out and voting.

2. To change history! Whoever wins the presidential election is a part of history, and you have the chance to create it.

3. Even celebrities do it! So basically voting is one step closer to becoming one.

4. Other countries don’t have the option. As if you need another reason why America is the best country ever…

5. For the people! The institution of government is by the people, for the people. Vote so that the next generation can benefit as well.

6. To exercise your rights! You don’t even have to do any real exercising. #winning

7. Girls rule! The 19th Amendment granted women the right to vote in 1920. Keep it going ladies!

8. For your fellow millennials. Millennial voters make up about half of the eligible voting population and are the most diverse group of voters.

9. Another step towards adulting! You don’t even need to put on pants if you vote by absentee ballot.

10. The sticker! The best reward for anything is a sticker, and you can show everyone that you voted.

And there you have it! Make sure you take the chance to vote for the next president because it won’t come around for the next four years! I’m going to vote, are you?

Rebecca is a junior politics major at Saint Vincent College. Her dream is to attend law school and be the next Elle Woods. In her free time, Rebecca likes to read, drink lots of coffee, or watch Criminal Minds. Fun Fact: she always carries her pocket Constitution with her!
Juli Cehula

St Vincent '18

Hello there! I am the Campus Correspondent of the Her Campus chapter at Saint Vincent College. As a senior psychology major, I've made the most of my time in undergrad and am excited for all the doors I have opening ahead of me. I can definitely thank Her Campus for giving me invaluable skills. As a future psychologist, I hope that my articles (and the chapter's) are able to make you feel empowered, motivate you to start a conversation, and be kind. As a hero of mine has said, "If you do not take control over your time and your life, other people will gobble it up. If you don't prioritize yourself, you constantly start falling lower and lower on your list."- Michelle Obama. Be the change you want to see in the world, and smile. Always smile!