Reality vs. Expectation: Fall Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

SWEATER WEATHER

After what feels like a lifetime of bright sunny weather, high-waisted shorts and Coachella-inspired outfits, aren’t you ready to trade the warm summer days for brisk fall afternoons? After all, you probably spent a majority of your late summer shopping for a new fall wardrobe to model and strut around campus.

Expectation:

More than a month into classes and you’re ready for a day with a high of 55! Prepare your cable knit sweaters, zip up your riding boots, grab your infinity scarf and high tail it to class!

Reality:

Even though you planned your outfit last night, (probably even dreamed about it) and can’t wait to walk to class all comfy and looking super chic, you wake up, to a high of 80 and sunshine all day. Better opt for shorts and a T-shirt yet again!

PUMPKIN EVERYTHING

The most important three-lettered drink on the planet came out even sooner than expected with a brand new recipe. You’ve already started to jump back on that pumpkin bandwagon. Say it with me: PSL! PSL! PSL!

Expectation:

Gold card in hand, the best way to beat the Monday morning blues is by trekking to Starbucks before your 10 am class to treat yourself with a Venti PSL You’re ready to indulge in everything pumpkin- candles, cupcakes, hand sanitizer, and maybe even some air freshener.  I mean, it basically embodies everything great about the fall season. Who could ever get enough?

Reality:

Whether it’s at the barista, Dunkin’ Donuts or Starbucks, the world really hasn’t let go of its pumpkin spice fever and you love every second of it. But does the world really need a pumpkin spice version of everything? Pumpkin spice-inspired soap is a little out there. Can candy cane season come now, please?

INSTAGRAM

It is the season for overly filtered pictures of colored trees, special pumpkin patch picks, and your infinity scarf/PSL combos.

Expectation:

A ton of picturesque fall adventures with friends who always have their cameras ready to take the perfect candid picture for your Instagram. The likes will pour in! 

Reality:

It seems like everyone and their mother has posted a picture of themselves throwing a pile of leaves in the air. You thought your panorama of the Saint Vincent was so original, but five people already posted what seems to be the exact same picture this morning. 

Sarah Selip

St Vincent

Sarah Selip is a junior at Saint Vincent College with a major in Communications and a minor in Marketing. When not attempting to take the fashion world by storm, in her spare time Sarah is a member of the women's tennis team, blogger, and Starbucks addict. You can usually catch her quoting Legally Blonde, sipping on a caramel macchiatto, or updating one of her thousands of social media accounts. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter, or visit her blog.
Kaura Bassegio is a Saint Vincent College Alumna with a degree in marketing. As founder and former President of the St. Vincent chapter, Kaura worked on pitching ideas, editing, and leading a large team of women. Throughout her years at Saint Vincent, Kaura worked in the retail industry where she received her internship at American Eagle Outfitters. Now that she is a college graduate, Kaura will be focused on family, friends, and most importantly, finding a job! She is interested in fashion and her dream is to live and work in New York City. Follow her on Instagram: kauralbassegio