This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

How many times have you been asked the question “if you could have any superpower, which one would it be”? I’m willing to bet you’ve given some thought into whether or not you’d prefer flying, reading minds, teleporting, or turning invisible. When I asked several of my friends this question, they were armed with quick, unique responses. However, when I asked them to think about what superpower they already had, they hesitated.

We’ve all been raised to know that it’s impolite to brag about your achievements, but there’s a difference between bragging and being proud. Your real life superpower is the thing you are capable of doing right now that brings you the most pride and joy. It’s that thing about yourself that you focus on when you’re feeling down. It’s that thing you always know you’re able to do, no matter what obstacles stand in your way. They can be simple or complex, unique or common, newly-discovered or ingrained in you for years – all that matters is attributing it to a sense of worth in yourself.

So, what’s YOUR real-life super power?

It may have been hypocritical to challenge my friends, and the readers of this article, to know the answer to this question; I spent awhile struggling to find my own response. Eventually, I came up with the one I believe defines me best:

“Working with kids who are experiencing chronic health issues & still remaining cheerful.” — Megan M.

Here are some of the great responses I received from my friends:

“Having a welcoming personality that makes people feel at ease.” –Jess B.

“Easily connecting with my friends’ family members… parents love me.” — Sarah W.

“Staying organized and setting goals.” — Hannah D.

“Being able to be there for others in times of despair.” — Jake K.

“Attention to detail.” — Jenny M.

“Pushing past the hardships in my life to not only feel my own sense of closure, but empowering others to heal in their own way and advocating for positive change.” — Ashley K.

“Never letting my feelings ruin relationship or getting too overblown. Instead, using activities like singing or exercise to calm down when I’m upset.” — Allie R.

“Getting adequate sleep almost every night.” — Rachel K.

“Making people think I have my life together even when I don’t… and encouraging others to do their best.” — Taylor B.

So, what’s your answer to the question? Is your real-life superpower similar to one of ours? Is it totally different? Does it make you feel strong, valid, and proud? Maybe all those ice-breaker questions over the years got it wrong. Maybe it’s not the superpowers we want to have that say the most about us… maybe it’s the ones we already possess.

HCXO,

Megan

I'm Megan Miller, a senior Psychology/Sociology double major and Children's Studies minor. You can find me giving campus tours, kicked back in the Fred Rogers Center, or on a date with my homework at the local coffee shop. If there's one thing you need to know about me, it's that I approach every day with one goal: make Michelle Obama proud.