alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Pros and Cons of Going Home During College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

When you’re at college, it is a whole different world. You can sleep as much as you want without getting yelled at, eat as much or as little as you want, and you basically have all the control. Then, a break comes. You have to go home to your original home (that sometimes doesn’t even feel like home for some reason). Anyways, adjusting to college life and going back home can be kind of tricky and I am going to tell you why that is.

1. Pro: HOME COOKED MEALS

One of my favorite parts about going home is that I can eat actual food again. It is so nice to get a break from the school’s food.

2. Con: You Miss All of Your Friends

You get to be around your friends all the time, then you realize they live 5 hours from you in real life. I’ve met so many amazing people at school that have become such great friends, and it is the worst when you can’t just text them and see them whenever you want.

3. Pro: One word. DOGS!

Sorry Mom and Dad, but I miss my dogs. Not going to lie, this is the best thing ever. Coming home to your best furry friend. The feeling of seeing your pups after being away at school: Instant Happiness.

4. Con: Your Parents Flood You with a Million Questions

This is one of the things that truly grinds my gears. As soon as I walk through the door of my house, my parents immediately ask me questions, and I can’t keep up!

5. Pro: You Get to Use Your Shower at Home

I didn’t think this was going to be an issue, but the showers at school are not the same. First of all, you have to wear flip flops into the shower… enough said. Also, you barely have enough room to do anything especially when it is time to shave your legs. Plus, you don’t have to lug your shower caddy to the bathroom, because everything’s right there where you left it.

6. Con: You Miss your Room at School

Every time I leave to go home, I leave a part of myself there. My room is the best way to describe myself. It is decorated to represent who I am. My room at home feels boring and its just not the same.

7. Pro: You Can be You

Home is where your true self is. No need to stress about the work at school, because you get to come home and remember all of the things you love and who you became when you lived there full time. It is a good reminder to us all to be thankful where we came from because it made us who we are today.

8. Con: Less Freedom

You haven’t been told what to do in a while, so coming home switches this up. Your parents are still your parents, and they have the ability to tell you what to do. Curfew and rules come back into play, when you’re used to being the boss.

Going away to school is awesome and it is one of the best things ever to happen to me, but of course being home is great too. I’m sure you can relate to at least one of these! Have a great spring break and enjoy spending time at home!

HCXO,

Nicolette

Nicolette Belasco

St Vincent '22

Freshman Communication Major at Saint Vincent College "Everything happens for a reason."