A Message on Support

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

It’s okay to ask for help. It’s okay to ask for help. I’ll say it one more time: it’s okay to ask for help. There’s no shame in accepting comfort from another person or in reaching out to a professional. You’re not weaker for seeking support; there are an infinite number of reasons for doing so, and none of them are any less or more significant than others. If you’ve been feeling overwhelmed, depressed, lost, or just down… talk to someone.

Take advantage of the counselors available at your school. They’re trained professionals who are willing and able to offer you aid in any situation. If the thought of making an appointment scares you, take a friend along. It’s likely that they’ll be encouraging of your desire to take this step. Counselors are there to lend an ear that is guaranteed to be confidential and nonjudgmental.

If speaking to a professional is intimidating or doesn’t work for you, find a friend. A true friendship isn’t based on only fun and happiness. Friends are the ones who are supposed to be there for you at all times, not just at the good times. Take advantage of their support; begin the conversation with something as simple as “can I talk to you? I haven’t been doing well lately.” Odds are good that your friend will know what to do from there. It might not be a comfortable conversation for you to have, or an easy one to swallow your pride and ask for, but you’ll leave it with the knowledge that your problems are not a burden you have to bear alone.

People care. People love. People help. People accept. People hurt. People talk. People struggle. People recover. All of these are a part of life… but the beautiful thing is this: you don’t have to do any of it alone. Ask others to help you when you need them to. Ask others to share in your success. Be there for them and take comfort in the fact that they will be there for you, regardless of the circumstances you seek help in. 

I'm Megan Miller, a senior Psychology/Sociology double major and Children's Studies minor. You can find me giving campus tours, kicked back in the Fred Rogers Center, or on a date with my homework at the local coffee shop. If there's one thing you need to know about me, it's that I approach every day with one goal: make Michelle Obama proud.
Juli Cehula

St Vincent '18

Hello there! I am the Campus Correspondent of the Her Campus chapter at Saint Vincent College. As a senior psychology major, I've made the most of my time in undergrad and am excited for all the doors I have opening ahead of me. I can definitely thank Her Campus for giving me invaluable skills. As a future psychologist, I hope that my articles (and the chapter's) are able to make you feel empowered, motivate you to start a conversation, and be kind. As a hero of mine has said, "If you do not take control over your time and your life, other people will gobble it up. If you don't prioritize yourself, you constantly start falling lower and lower on your list."- Michelle Obama. Be the change you want to see in the world, and smile. Always smile!