This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

As you experience the highs and lows of life, most of which have happened for me in the past four years, my family has had an increasing impact on my life. While my family may not be perfect and we certainly have our days of disagreements, I would not change a thing about them.

Before coming to college, I was close with my parents and brother, but like any high school senior, I was so ready to take on college all on my own. I noticed that I got so caught up in my studies, making new friends, and trying new things, that I put talking to my family at the bottom of my to-do list. Not only that, but I would never make weekend trips to visit with family, rather I would just stick it out for a month or two and go home for a break. Being from Maryland, going far away for college is hard in its self, but I distanced myself emotionally and mentally as well. I really didn’t notice this until the end of my Freshman year, and realized that life is a lot easier with the love and support I get from family.

As I went on through my Sophomore year and into my Junior year, I literally cannot imagine how I ever got through without talking to someone in my family at least once or twice a day. Every day I find myself texting my mom to see how her day is or ask my dad about a sports team, just simply because I genuinely miss them. I also make it a priority to go home every 3 weeks or so despite the four-hour drive after a long day of classes. I have experienced so much change and emotion in the past few months and without the love and support of my family, I have no idea how I would have gotten through any of it on my own.

Just like anything in life, I feel as though you can’t truly appreciate something/someone until “it’s gone or almost gone”. In other words, you don’t realize how much someone means to you until you feel like they are slipping away or distancing themselves from your life. I know now that no matter who or what comes and goes from my life, my family is ALWAYS going to remain a constant.

Image Credit: Pinterest

Tell your parents, siblings, grandparents, etc. that you love them today and thank them for all that they do for you!

HCXO,

Sam

Samantha Kenjorski

St Vincent '20

hey there! maryland girl saint vincent college '20 marketing x graphic design