This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

2018 is well on its way, but is anyone having trouble keeping those New Year’s resolutions?  You’re not the only one!  As the new year begins to unfold, we get extremely busy – too busy for those resolutions.  Honestly, resolutions become a burden!  Instead of starting the year on a positive note, we get dragged down by the failure to fulfill those pesky resolutions.  Not this year! Now I’m NOT here to tell you to lower your expectations because, what kind of pep talk is that?  Instead, I’m here to say that the best way to keep your New Year’s resolutions may be as simple as changing your mindset about them.

For example, if your goal is to lose 10 lbs, then you’ll be pretty disappointed if you can’t seem to lose more than 5.  If, however, your resolution was just to lose some of that extra holiday weight, then you can be really proud of that stubborn 5 lbs you worked so hard to lose instead of pining after the remaining weight you wish would also disappear.  

Therefore, the key is keeping it simple.  Don’t try to achieve something specific, and stay away from numbers!  You’ll be much happier with your progress that way.  Maybe instead of trying to make 3 new friends this semester, just try to make as many new friends as you can.  Then, you’ll be more than satisfied with the 1 or 2 new BFFs you meet, instead of constantly wishing for more and neglecting the ones you have.  April showers might bring May flowers, but the spring semester often only brings stress for us college students so I’m sure many of us have resolutions about getting better grades.  Again, I’m not telling you not to shoot for straight A’s, but sometimes things don’t work out that way whether it’s your worst subject with a crazy teacher or you get horribly sick for two weeks.  Like I said, although straight A’s is an awesome goal, it’s very specific.  Why not just try to be the best you can be?  If you know you did your absolute best and really learned something, then you’ll be proud of yourself and your accomplishments – not disappointed.  Besides, is one B really the end of the world?

Be proud of any progress you make, no matter how small.  Good luck, and happy New Year! 

Class of 2020 Spanish & Communication
Juli Cehula

St Vincent '18

Hello there! I am the Campus Correspondent of the Her Campus chapter at Saint Vincent College. As a senior psychology major, I've made the most of my time in undergrad and am excited for all the doors I have opening ahead of me. I can definitely thank Her Campus for giving me invaluable skills. As a future psychologist, I hope that my articles (and the chapter's) are able to make you feel empowered, motivate you to start a conversation, and be kind. As a hero of mine has said, "If you do not take control over your time and your life, other people will gobble it up. If you don't prioritize yourself, you constantly start falling lower and lower on your list."- Michelle Obama. Be the change you want to see in the world, and smile. Always smile!