This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

Heartbreak is full of many things. Sadness, confusion, anger and sometimes happiness, but the one thing that heartbreak is: it’s a lesson. Not some ordinary lesson you learn in school. You can’t teach this type of lesson. You have to experience it and overcome it. If you’re going through some type of heartbreak right now, just know that it gets easier. Happiness comes in waves, and it will find you again. 

Going through heartbreak alone isn’t an easy task, it takes a lot of effort and time to heal from it. Sometimes you feel like crying, just cry. It’s better to get those feeling out rather than keeping them pent up inside yourself. When you need to get those emotions out, go work out, text/call friends and family, go out and do things. Don’t lock yourself up in your room, it’s a lot harder to bounce back from heartbreak when you’re locking yourself up inside your house. 

I know that bouncing back isn’t as easy as it seems, but you have to be realistic about it. You aren’t going to wake up one day and be alright, you have to keep moving forward and not looking back on the past. You will find your way back to happiness, no matter how long it takes, you will overcome and be happy again. It may not be tomorrow or next week, but it will come back to you. 

Happiness isn’t based off how happy someone makes you. You have to make yourself happy before you can make anyone else happy. Your self-worth and self-love should always come before anyone else. I know that may sound selfish, but when you’re vulnerable, you have to put yourself first until you’re back on your feet. 

From my own experience, that if it wasn’t for my friends, I wouldn’t of gotten through my own heartbreak. Heartbreak isn’t easy, its hard and sometimes it hits you ten times harder than you expect, but you have to put your game face on and push back. You’re strong and you’re your own worst enemy. Trust me when I tell you that. I would think for days that something was wrong with me, but that’s not true. I am not perfect and I have my own flaws. I’m a handful, but if they can’t handle you at your worst, then they definitely don’t deserve you at your best. 

Here’s my advice; keep pushing forward, smile through it all, appreciate your steps–no matter how small, and just remember that happiness comes in waves and it will find you again. 

HCXO,

Noelle

saint vinny's '22. writer & photographer. check out my vsco! link below. www.vsco.co/nnnoelleee