This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

College will be the greatest and hardest time of your life. In order to come out alive and on top, you need to know 6 key elements to survival. It is necessary that you take time for you and get away from all of the schoolwork that crowds you on a daily basis. Here are 6 things that are necessary for college. 

1. A Planner

This one is self explanatory. If you don’t have a planner, just write down the work you are supposed to do on a sheet of paper and keep all of your assignments in the same place. Professors will be throwing homework, quizzes, and exams at you left and right. Even though information is listed on the syllabus, chances are if you don’t see it right in front of you, you may forget about it.

2. Naps

Naps are crucial for survival. You will most likely have late-night homework and study sessions and come the next day, you are going to be exhausted. Taking a nap during the day will give your brain and body a much needed break. 

3. Friends, some really good ones. 

Surround yourself with good people and your life will be so much easier. There are a ton of different personalities in college and I am sure you can find someone who you share interests with. You need that human interaction to give your mind a break from the real world of college. 

4. Netflix

Find a show and watch it when you can. Again, you are going to need to find time to have a break for your mental stability so having a show or a movie that you can watch to get away from all of the stress will be beneficial. 

5. Coffee

If you hate coffee, it will soon become your best friend. You will drink it every morning to wake you up and probably again mid-afternoon or evening. Though having that much caffeine is not all that healthy for you, sometimes you just need to indulge.

6. Excercise 

College is stressful and the perfect way to release stress is through working out. Wake up early and go if you don’t feel as if you have enough time once classes start, you can think about it like you wouldn’t be using that time for schoolwork anyways.

Kaura Bassegio is a Saint Vincent College Alumna with a degree in marketing. As founder and former President of the St. Vincent chapter, Kaura worked on pitching ideas, editing, and leading a large team of women. Throughout her years at Saint Vincent, Kaura worked in the retail industry where she received her internship at American Eagle Outfitters. Now that she is a college graduate, Kaura will be focused on family, friends, and most importantly, finding a job! She is interested in fashion and her dream is to live and work in New York City. Follow her on Instagram: kauralbassegio
Juli Cehula

St Vincent '18

Hello there! I am the Campus Correspondent of the Her Campus chapter at Saint Vincent College. As a senior psychology major, I've made the most of my time in undergrad and am excited for all the doors I have opening ahead of me. I can definitely thank Her Campus for giving me invaluable skills. As a future psychologist, I hope that my articles (and the chapter's) are able to make you feel empowered, motivate you to start a conversation, and be kind. As a hero of mine has said, "If you do not take control over your time and your life, other people will gobble it up. If you don't prioritize yourself, you constantly start falling lower and lower on your list."- Michelle Obama. Be the change you want to see in the world, and smile. Always smile!