This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

As Thanksgiving is just around the corner, I want to take a few moments to reflect on the “what if…” in our lives.

A higher power has placed us here in THIS place, and it is hard to deny that if we were placed somewhere else in the world that our own lives would be much different than they are today. Just imagine the many people who were ready to go to work on 9/11, but called off before their shift. Although this is a dramatic example, sometimes what we see to be a negative can actually turn out to be a positive.

1. What if… I had never gone to Saint Vincent College

Throwing it back to senior year of high school, I can remember struggling to determine the best fit for college. Although one of the main considerations was financial aid, I was seriously considering another college which offered the same amount. However, I decided to stay close to my family and keep my relationships in check. Not only has this decision been a benefit to my family and others that I am close to, but it also turned out to be the right fit for my life. I enjoy the rich knowledge that I gain each day from coming to a liberal arts college, where I can become a better person while preparing for my future career. I can honestly say that even though I decided to live off campus, it has been an honor to attend a college that prides itself on building the entire individual.

2. What if… I had never met my brothers.

I am sure that my parents weren’t prepared to have another baby when I was 9 months old. It turns out, they got two for the price of one. You guessed it, I have fraternal twin brothers. This one surprise changed our lives forever, and although the timing was unpredictable, it has given me two companions for life. Alec is my best friend, and Austin has opened my eyes to a new perspective. Austin has Autism, but this doesn’t define him. He is a brilliant star that has a smile that shines light on the entire world, and a laugh that could warm the coldest heart. It is a blessing to have them both in my life.

3. What if… our paths hadn’t crossed.

Yes, you have made a difference in my life. Whether we were acquaintances in 3rd period PE or best friends. Each person that has come into my life has shaped me into the person that I am today. Without your guidance and thoughtful support, I am not sure who I would be today. So, thank you from the bottom of my heart for being a positive impact on my life and the lives of others.

4. What if… tomorrow was the last day on earth.

We never know what tomorrow will bring. Our time will come when we must leave this earth no matter what our beliefs are. I just want to ask you today if you feel that you’ve done what you love while living. Even though it would be sad to know that the world was going to end, at least you could have 24 hours to complete your passion. Sadly, many times tomorrow isn’t guaranteed. I challenge you to promote your love in life and cut away the excess that makes you feel insignificant or miserable. Prestopost.org

There are times in our lives when we will feel the need to regret what has happened, but look at all of the positives that have come from your experience. I have no doubt that you will face hardship in this lifetime, but it is in the way we deal with these situations that determine our mindset.

Finally, if you have neglected to thank someone in your life who has made sacrifices for you. Then there is no time like the present day to accomplish your task.

HCXO,

Allie

Allie Richter

St Vincent '20

Just taking this life day by day. Staying positive and making the most out of what has been placed in this life. Growl Meow • SVC’20 Math Ed Major Special Ed Minor Emotional Supporter