Avoiding the Scariest Monster this Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

Hey everyone!  Halloween is right around the corner and with the spookiest time of year quickly approaching, I wanted to talk about something truly terrifying: The Freshman 15.

You probably just got chills…I know I did!  Many people will say the Freshman 15 is just a legend, like those ghost stories you hear every Halloween, but I’m here to tell you that it’s much scarier than whatever might be hiding under your bed.

Don’t get me wrong, college is amazing because we have the freedom to eat whatever we want whenever we want, but that doesn’t always mean we should.  Ramen noodles and easy mac aren’t exactly nutritious, especially at 2 am.

This article isn’t just for freshman!  Trust me, I learned the hard way what college can do to your body.  Aside from having to do the pants dance every morning to fit into your cutest jeans, poor nutrition can make you feel sluggish, tired, and unmotivated.  We college kids do not need that on top of everything else!

With college comes lots of free time (provided you’re not spending all of it napping) so that means there’s plenty of time to get a good work out in.  Here’s a list of some great ways to work out on campus:

• Go to the gym!  The elliptical burns calories like crazy.  I like to go as soon as it opens in the morning before class so I get my exercise out of the way early.  I take my iPad mini so I can watch Netflix.  A few episodes of The Office or Parks and Recreation really make the time fly and make exercising a lot less miserable for my fellow couch potatoes out there!  You can also be super productive if you take homework to the gym.  I can always be found going through note cards while biking what feels like the Tour de France!
  • Get some laps in at the pool!  I’ll go for late night swims that always take away the guilt of whatever I snagged from the desert table at the caf that day.  Swimming is the best exercise you can do for your body, and you can’t really sweat since you’re in water so bonus! 
  • Go to an exercise class!  Even though we’re a small school, Saint Vincent offers a variety of physical fitness classes including, kickboxing, zumba, yoga, and Pound.  Pound involves a variety of muscle strengthening and cardio exercises while hitting drumsticks to the beat of some quality jams.  It’s a great way to let out your frustrations!  These are all really fun activities to do with friends because you work up a sweat and listen to good music at the same time.
  • Go for a run or a walk!  We may not have a track, but there are plenty of beautiful places to jog around campus.  Soak up the fresh air, and clear your head.
  • Take the stairs!  Can’t find time to exercise?  The elevators take forever anyways so taking the stairs is an easy way to get some exercise throughout your day.  Climbing to the 5th floor might seem impossible, but you’ll feel good once you get to the top.  I would know!

Keep in mind that all this exercise won’t be very helpful if you keep eating Lucky Charms for every meal.  Healthy options are out there!  Both the caf and shack always have fruit and salads available, but take it easy with the dressing and croutons.  At the shack, you can opt for a grilled chicken breast wrapped in lettuce instead of bread, a personal favorite of mine.  At the caf, try an omelet made out of egg whites.  I think it tastes the same anyways!

Now obviously you can’t eat lettuce for breakfast, lunch, and dinner every single day, and you won’t always have time to workout.  Slowly start to add in healthier choices and small workouts into your daily routine, and you’ll be safe from the scariest monster on Halloween, the Freshman 15!

Class of 2020 Spanish & Communication
Juli Cehula

St Vincent '18

Hello there! I am the Campus Correspondent of the Her Campus chapter at Saint Vincent College. As a senior psychology major, I've made the most of my time in undergrad and am excited for all the doors I have opening ahead of me. I can definitely thank Her Campus for giving me invaluable skills. As a future psychologist, I hope that my articles (and the chapter's) are able to make you feel empowered, motivate you to start a conversation, and be kind. As a hero of mine has said, "If you do not take control over your time and your life, other people will gobble it up. If you don't prioritize yourself, you constantly start falling lower and lower on your list."- Michelle Obama. Be the change you want to see in the world, and smile. Always smile!