8 New Years Resolutions you should stick To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

8 New Year’s Resolutions that have nothing to do with losing weight

1. Smile more often

A smile can really brighten someone else’s day! It can also cause a negative mood to become a positive one. Clean your pearly whites and show the world how beautiful your smile is.

1. Open your heart to someone new

Trying to make a new friendship, whether it be romantic or not, can be a challenge. Don’t be afraid to let your heart be open and share an intimate conversation and watch a new relationship blossom.

1. Order something different at your favorite restaurant

This could be the first step in change in your life! I know it’s hard to change your order, especially at Chipotle or Starbucks, but you never know what a little guac, or extra caramel could do for ya! Give it a try, even if it’s only just this one time.

1. Pay it forward

Being a college student, whenever you spend money should be done cautiously. However, I promise this is a heart-warming experience. Once a month in this new year, I challenge you to pay it forward. It doesn’t have to be much, but maybe buy the person in front of you their coffee, or even the “townie” a beer at the bar (for our of age readers, of course). It will make your heart warm!

1. Sleep in once a week

For some of us, this may not be a problem, but for others it definitely is! Even though your schedule may be hectic, it’s important to get those “zzz’s!” Pick one day of the week, and sleep until at least 10am and take it easy! Rest and relaxation are sure to help you calm your mind.

1. Try not to be late

We all know that one friend who is ten minutes behind schedule. If you could use a few extra minutes in your day, try setting your clock a few minutes fast, or get ready earlier than

you’re used to! You can even preplan outfits and have your belongings together to make things go more smoothly.

1. Spend less time on social media

Yes, I know. You’re probably hear reading this article because of social media. I am really grateful for that! However, it’s important to know when enough is enough. If you’ve checked all of your feeds three times and nothing new is popping up, put down your phone and take a few minutes for yourself.

1. Overcome a fear

It doesn’t matter if the fear is putting cream cheese on your bagel, or heights, try to put an end to it! Progression is key and the closer you get to conquering it, the greater the feeling of when you finally do it will be. I am already so proud of you for giving this a try.

A new year can be full of scary and fun events. No matter what 2017 has in store for you, being the best version of yourself should 

Juli Cehula

St Vincent '18

Hello there! I am the Campus Correspondent of the Her Campus chapter at Saint Vincent College. As a senior psychology major, I've made the most of my time in undergrad and am excited for all the doors I have opening ahead of me. I can definitely thank Her Campus for giving me invaluable skills. As a future psychologist, I hope that my articles (and the chapter's) are able to make you feel empowered, motivate you to start a conversation, and be kind. As a hero of mine has said, "If you do not take control over your time and your life, other people will gobble it up. If you don't prioritize yourself, you constantly start falling lower and lower on your list."- Michelle Obama. Be the change you want to see in the world, and smile. Always smile!