This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

At the beginning of a new semester, it can be hard to get back into the swing of things and stay organized. With the stress of new classes and new schedules, it is easy to get lost in all the commotion. Hopefully, these organization tips can help you stay on top of your game!

1. Invest in a planner 

Okay, we’ve all heard of this before. But this tried and true tip really does make a difference. Laying everything out for the week can help you see important events and test days, helping you time manage more effectively. It can also be a useful tool to make sure you have not forgotten any assigned homework. Plan out your days to some extent so you have enough time to finish a project or paper, and possibly find time to squeeze in a quick 20-minute nap between classes.

2. Have Sticky notes – of all sizes 

Sticky-notes can come in handy for just about anything. Keep small sticky-notes to mark a page in your planner so you don’t lose your spot. This will make the next time you open it much quicker to get to where you need to be. Use sticky-notes to take notes on important concepts in your textbook. Once exams roll around, you will be able to locate it quickly in your textbook, instead of having to flip through every page trying to find it. Sticky-notes can also be useful to write yourself a quick reminder, such as writing an email or returning a library book that day. 

3. Use colorful markers and highlighters to stay organized 

This is a life-saver. When taking notes during class, I find it helpful to have either two colorful markers to organize my notes, or a highlighter to highlight key definitions. This will help you focus on the important topics for quizzes and tests. This can also be a helpful tip to organize events in your planner or calendar. Color coding for events, work, quizzes, tests, and assignments will help you prioritize your time. 

4. Plan out your outfits the night before 

When you plan your outfit ahead of time, you will be able to calmly get ready in the morning. When we are rushed to find the perfect, most flattering outfit for the day, we tend to leave a mess in our room. Shirts, sweaters, pants will be strewn all around the room, as mornings usually don’t give us enough time to put everything away. It isn’t ideal to come back from class to a chaotic room, as you will most likely be tired and in need of some relaxation. 

5. Pack your backpack in advance 

Going off of tip #4, pack your backpack the night before. This will give you some extra time in the morning, instead of scrambling around trying to pack everything 5 minutes before your class. This will also ensure that you have everything you need for the day since you have more time to prepare. 

6. Wake up early 

Waking up 15-30 minutes early will give your body a chance to be more awake before leaving for a day of classes. De-stressing in the morning will help in organization, as you will not be rushed to get ready. Having these extra minutes in the morning will leave you more relaxed and ready for the day. Instead of hitting snooze 2-3 times (which research has shown will leave you more tired), get up and enjoy some tea or coffee. Use the extra time to pray, meditate, or complete some breathing exercise (just make sure you don’t do this in bed and fall back asleep). You can also look through your planner or schedule for the day to see what the new day brings. Getting up early will start your day on the right foot. Instead of a disorganized mess, you will be calm, refreshed and ready for the day ahead!

HCXO,

Norina

Hello! My name is Norina Haefelin and I am a psychology and biology student at Saint Vincent College. I love adventures, travelling, and trying new and exotic foods. In my spare time, I like photography and art, cooking, and hiking. Though I am new to Her Campus, I am so excited to be a part of this wonderful community!
Juli Cehula

St Vincent '18

Hello there! I am the Campus Correspondent of the Her Campus chapter at Saint Vincent College. As a senior psychology major, I've made the most of my time in undergrad and am excited for all the doors I have opening ahead of me. I can definitely thank Her Campus for giving me invaluable skills. As a future psychologist, I hope that my articles (and the chapter's) are able to make you feel empowered, motivate you to start a conversation, and be kind. As a hero of mine has said, "If you do not take control over your time and your life, other people will gobble it up. If you don't prioritize yourself, you constantly start falling lower and lower on your list."- Michelle Obama. Be the change you want to see in the world, and smile. Always smile!