Life > Experiences

5 Study Tips to Help You Ace Your Next Exam

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

“Exam”- It’s a word that can instantly cause stress and anxiety in all students. Avoid pulling a dreaded all-nighter by studying well in advance and using these tips!

1. Put your phone away.

I know, those words are hard to hear. I like to put it on the other side of the room, so I’m not tempted to reach for it. Study time should be distraction-free- and it’s understandable just how distracting your phone can be. Yes, you might say “It’s just a five-minute break,” but three hours later, you find it to be past midnight and that you’ve been sucked into a deep hole somewhere on the Internet. The bottom line is, you’re your cell phone out of reach- unless you’re somehow using your phone to study, rather than scroll through Instagram, then good for you.

IMAGE CREDIT: Kezia Mariska

2. Make flashcards.

Flashcards are a great study tool. Repetition is a great way to memorize information- go through each flashcard until you get it right. If you don’t want to spend what feels like an eternity making index cards, try using a website like Quizlet. They offer study methods besides flashcards too- you can even play games with your terms or do a practice test! I find that Quizlet helps me stay motivated to master 100% of the material and I feel much more confident come test time.

3. Read it out loud.

Reciting the information aloud can prove extremely helpful on test day. You’re utilizing multiple senses at once and are therefore more likely to recall the material. This can be difficult if you aren’t alone when you’re studying, but it truly does help! You don’t have to sit there and yell out the information for your neighbors to hear- just whispering should suffice.

IMAGE CREDIT: Instagram

4. Write it down!

Yes, typing can be a faster method of getting the information down, but it’s scientifically proven that you’re much more likely to recall the information when using a paper and pen. I even find that writing down the basics of the information multiple times or making up acronyms help to easily recall the information on test day.

5. Don’t forget to take breaks.

Even if it feels like you don’t know any of the material, a break can be helpful as it can help lower your stress levels. Plus, you’ll come back with a fresh and clear mind. Get up, walk around for a few minutes, stretch, and have a snack. It can be calming and give your mind some much-needed relaxation. Whatever you do- don’t make your break too long though! A good rule of thumb is for every hour of studying, give yourself a ten-minute break. You could even split this up into five minutes every half hour if you wanted to. Don’t forget to break for mealtime- your brain needs to fuel too.

I know these methods might not work for everyone, but hopefully at least one of these tips proves useful to you! Study hard and good luck on your next exam!

HCXO,

Lauren

Lauren Makovics

St Vincent '23

Biology Major from Saint Vincent College Future Veterinarian "Aim higher, dream bigger"