This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

If you haven’t already joined the coconut oil club, you’re really missing out on one of the most versatile beauty products out there. From hygiene to cooking, coconut oil is one of the most inexpensive products that can be used for literally almost anything. Before you go ahead and buy some, make sure you understand what exactly you paying for.

Refined coconut oil is a type of coconut oil that does not smell or taste like unrefined coconut oil due to its refining process. Because of this, it is important to keep in mind that refined coconut oil does not have as many nutrients. This is the type of coconut oil that people typically tend to use when they are cooking so it doesn’t alter the taste of their food.

Unrefined coconut oil also advertised as “virgin” or “extra virgin” does not go through the refining process. Therefore, it has more nutrients in it. If you’re using it for food it can alter the taste of it. However, for beauty purposes, it is most effective to use it unrefined.

1. Heal Bug Bites: It not only helps stop the itch and burning of a bug bite, but it can help the healing process too – it’s anti-inflammatory.

2. Soothe Sunburn: Using one part coconut oil with one part aloe vera gel makes an amazing sunburn relief. Put it in the fridge for an extra cooling sensation.

3. Heal Eczema Breakout: If you have eczema, this one’s for you. When you have a flare up with your skin, try putting coconut oil on it.

4. DIY Toothpaste: Everyone knows that baking soda is a healthy alternative to regular toothpaste. However, most people agree that it’s not the best feeling or taste. Try mixing baking soda with coconut oil before brushing your teeth. Not only is it natural, but you still have the benefit of baking soda which is also a teeth whitener.

5. Oil Pulling: If you haven’t hurt of this one yet, it is all over the internet and seems to have a lot of support and validity. Instead of using mouthwash, use coconut oil. Using it as mouth wash is not only a cheap alternative, but is said to have antibacterial and whitening properties. It is suggested to “pull” for 10-20 minutes for the best results.

6. In the Shower Lotion: If you have ever tried shower lotion you probably already know that it is amazing. Yet being one of the most creative and innovative products, it can be pricey. Before going into the shower melt a little bit of coconut oil. While in the shower, put it on like lotion. You will be able to avoid that after-shower dryness.

7. Getting rid of a cough: Mix a couple drops of peppermint essential oils into about half a cup of coconut oil and rub it on your chest.

8. Save your Hair: Here are four different coconut oil combinations that can help your hair become healthier.

•  Oil + Rosemary Essential Oils (rub into roots to promote hair growth)
  •  Oil + Lavender Essential Oils (rub into scalp to avoid dandruff)
  • Oil + Honey (Use as a hair mask for split ends)
  • Oil + Shea butter (Natural hair conditioner)

9. Natural deodorant: Mix oil with baking soda and cornstarch until desired consistency is reached. Adding essential oils also helps to give a fresh scent.

10. Makeup remover: Use coconut oil to remove the most stubborn makeup. Wipe away with a wet rag and finish with your favorite face wash.

11. Body scrub: Mix one cup of coffee grinds, one cup of sugar, and a half a cup of oil to make an all natural, coffee-scented scrub.

12. Lip Plumper: Mix oil and peppermint essential oils together to make a natural lip plumper. The more peppermint you use, the more effective it will be.

13. Cooling Face Cream: Mix three teaspoons of oil, five drops of vitamin E oil, seven drops of tea tree essential oils.

14. Acne Treatment: Mixing tea tree, frankincense, and lavender essential oils with coconut oil make an effective and natural spot treatment for acne.

15. Creamer/Sweetener: Use oil as a creamer in your coffee and tea for a healthy alternative. It can also help promote digestion.

HCXO,

Brooke

Brooke DiLascio

St Vincent '22

Brooke DiLascio Psychology (Major), Theology and Addiction Certification (Minors) Hey there, I am Brooke! I am obsessed with becoming a woman that thinks every part of her body and soul is nothing less than beautiful. "Sometimes I'll start a sentence and I don't even know where it's going. I just hope I find it along the way" - Michael Scott