Life > Experiences

10 Signs You Grew Up with Your Best Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

For most people, you remember becoming friends with the person you know will be your maid of honor someday. It’s likely you remember where you met, how awkward it was when you were first getting to know each other, and the first time you slept over at her house. For me, it’s a little different.

I was 2 years old when I met the girl who would grow up to be my best friend, although she’s so much more than that. Our moms decided it was a good idea to make us learn to socialize together; we were only children and refused to play with any other kids at the YMCA daycare they’d enrolled us at. When the women working there told them we weren’t adjusting, they decided some extra time together might help – little did they know, a few play dates would turn out to create a friendship that will last for life.

I credit Ashley for teaching me how to share, how to be honest with someone, and how to forgive. We’ve had our fair share of fights, especially when we were roommates our freshman year of college (sorry, Raylen), but there have been so many more moments of happiness, laughter, and adventure. She’s my go-to person to confide in, the friend I call when I’ve had a bad day, and my personal photographer.

We never worry about how many Instagram photos we ask each other to take. I gave her a key to my house this summer, and I never have to worry about owing her money because we’ve had a long standing “it’ll equal out in the end” policy. Having a friendship like ours is once in a lifetime, and I’m doing my best to remind myself how lucky I am.

I could go on forever talking about how proud I am of her, but that I’ll save for another article. Instead, here’s our list of “The Top Ten Signs You Grew Up With Your Best Friend”:

1. You have the same tone of voice and enunciation.

When we started college, this one really freaked some of our new friends out, but once they found out that we learned to talk together, it made a little more sense. Although I’ll admit that even I have trouble telling our voices apart in videos sometimes.

2. You refer to their mother solely as “mom” (bonus points if that’s her name in you contacts list)

Ashley’s mom has been in my phone as “Mom #2” since at least the 7th grade. After everything she’s done for me over the years, it would be unfair to call her anything else.

3. The most important childhood agreement you made was who got to marry which Sprouse twin.

We were both really indecisive kids, but this was the ONE THING we always agreed on. I got Cole and she got Dylan. Back in the Suite Life days, Dylan was the cooler, rebellious one and she’d called dibs… but have you seen Cole on Riverdale? Sorry, Ashley, but I definitely get the last laugh on this one.

4. Your laughs are similar (and loud)

Speaking of laughs, ours are obnoxious and nearly identical. If we’re together on campus, you’ll hear us. Sorry to the ladies of Pod 5F our freshman year I’m sure we woke all of you up at least once.

5. Your boyfriend has to be approved by her. If she doesn’t like him, he’s out.

This one took us a little longer to figure out, but since then, it’s been a rule we follow pretty closely. I waited 18 years to see her with a guy like her current boyfriend, and I couldn’t be happier with how everything turned out. As for me, she introduced me to my boyfriend of nearly 2 years. It’s not uncommon to catch them on a trip to get coffee without me when I’m busy (they usually remember to bring me something back).

6. There are pictures of you two from ~ the awkward stage ~ … and you supply them on social media, to boyfriends, and to new friends without mercy.

Believe me, we have a lot to choose from.

7. They were the first person you texted when you got your first cell phone.

Our T-Mobile pay as you go phones were a step up from Nintendo DS messenger though, so we were still pretty thrilled.

8. You had matching outfits… you better believe we wore the same shirt in our 5th grade school photos.

I fully believe our moms had a subconscious dream of having twins, and they made up for it by dressing us alike at every opportunity. I can’t complain much now though, because the photos are adorable.

9. You deviously planned ways to get your mom to let her sleep over.

For us, this involved 8 ½ x 11 sheets of printer paper stapled together in a banner, protest style, depicting all of the reasons we deserved a sleepover. This usually involved a loud, disruptive march through the house as well.

10. You remember the moment you realized they’d always be there for you.

For me, it was 6th grade. My mom had called hers to let them know about my parents’ impending divorce. Ashley and her mom proceeded to abandon a full cart of food in the middle of Walmart to rush over and see us. It might have just seemed like what you “should do” in that moment, but it meant a lot more than either of them realize. To this day, she’ll still drop anything when I need her.

If you’ve found the Ashley to your Megan, make sure you let them know how much you love them. I’m lucky, and I know it. In the words of Cristina Yang, “She’s my person. If I murdered someone, she’s the person I’d call to help me drag the corpse across the living room floor,” and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

HCXO,

Megan

I'm Megan Miller, a senior Psychology/Sociology double major and Children's Studies minor. You can find me giving campus tours, kicked back in the Fred Rogers Center, or on a date with my homework at the local coffee shop. If there's one thing you need to know about me, it's that I approach every day with one goal: make Michelle Obama proud.