jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

‘Tis the Season! Seven Fall-Inspired Activities to do in Northfield, MN!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

1. Be one with nature – right in your backyard!

If you’re in the mood for hiking, running, biking, skiing or just slowly wandering along, the St. Olaf Natural Lands and the Carleton College Cowling Arboretum are open to public use year round. Both provide an area to explore and enjoy the prairies, woodlands, wetlands and all of the wildlife that comes with it, giving you a taste of the wilderness right on campus. Along with the “Arb,” Carleton is home to a beautiful Japanese garden, great for relaxing and meditating in the midst of autumn’s beauty.

2. Visit Fireside Orchard and Gardens to get a real, homegrown taste of fall!

Visit the local apple orchard while the fruit is at the peak of its season. Located five miles west of Northfield on Highway 19 and open 9-6 daily, Fireside is the perfect place to purchase delicious, homegrown apples and festive squash, gords and pumpkins, bake a yummy apple dessert and carve the pumpkins with your friends! Show off your creative pumpkin designs in front of your respected residence hall and share your delicious apple pie with all of your corridor buddies (or hide it away to keep for yourself).

3. Take a bike ride down to the Riverwalk Market Fair while it’s still open!

Open through October 26 on Saturday’s from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., the Riverwalk Market Fair is an outdoor market located on Bridge Square in downtown Northfield. Every Saturday brings a different variety of organic foods produced by local farmers, artisan foods, seasonal flowers and fine arts and crafts. Rent, borrow or use your own bike to take a trip to check out the market fair and any other shops in downtown Northfield that spark your interest.

4. Show some school spirit by supporting your college’s sports teams!

Attend a football game, soccer game, cross-country meet or whatever sport you prefer, decked out in all of your college gear. Since the weather is getting cooler, don’t forget to stop by Caribou Coffee, Starbucks or Goodbye Blue Monday to pick up your favorite seasonal drink to keep warm while cheering on your team. Who can say no to a pumpkin spice latte?

[pagebreak]

5. Pick up an autumn-inspired hobby just in time to whip up some homemade gifts for the holidays!

Take a trip to Northfield yarn, located in downtown Northfield, to choose from their selection of yarn, tools and patterns. Pick a knitting project of your own or take up one of the classes offered by Northfield Yarn; if you can catch on quickly enough, you can make your project into a meaningful holiday gift.

6. Take a fall class at the Northfield Arts Guild!

If knitting and crocheting isn’t your thing, but you still want to channel your artsy side this fall, visit the Northfield Arts Guild to check out their variety of classes offered this fall. Ranging from visual arts, to music or dance, to ceramics, these classes would be an awesome way to take a study break and learn something new! The upcoming class session starts Nov. 4 – Dec. 8.

7. Fall into a good book… if you have time.

While reading for enjoyment becomes a thing of the past during the school year for most students, try to read on really good book this fall! Make a visit to the St. Olaf or Carleton libraries, or even the Northfield Public Library; you could even take it a step farther by joining one of the book groups through Northfield’s library or at your school.

Photo Credits:

Carleton Arb

Boy with Apples

Riverwalk

Ole Football photo courtesy of Lucia Heppner

Yarn

Northfield Arts Guild

Books

Jessica is a senior at St. Olaf College majoring in English with concentrations in media studies and Middle Eastern studies. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus St. Olaf, she enjoys writing and editing news stories, and encouraging younger Oles to express their skills and talents through writing. She also is an editor for the school's student newspaper, The Manitou Messenger, and a writer for the college's marketing and communications office. In her (limited) free time, she enjoys eating pita and hummus from the Cage, curling up in a Buntrock window seat with a good book, and checking things off her senior bucket list.