STO Talks gives the Hill much to talk about

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Though its debut is not until Saturday, STO Talks is already giving the Hill and larger Northfield community something to talk about. Based off of TED Talks (www.ted.com), the one-day conference features 15 speakers and 400 audience members. That’s right – the audience is featured too, as they are asked to actively participate in the conference by maintaining impressionable, enthusiastic and proactive minds. The event is intended to inspire attendees and cultivate ideas for change in the larger community. A platform for limitless ideas, it is sure to both motivate and sustain a new kind of buzz around campus.

The event opens its doors promptly at 3:15 p.m. this Saturday, April 21 in the Lion’s Pause. The conference itself consists of a set of eight speakers from 3:30 to 5:15 p.m., a brief intermission and seven speakers from 6 to 7:45 p.m., concluding with a reception until 8:30 p.m. 

The speakers themselves are an aggregate of inspirational professors, students and alumni – all of whom earned their spot on the speaking panel by submitting proposals to the Planning Committee. 

Student speaker Matt Venker ’12 (pictured above) will address the issue of the Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) around the globe. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the disease is prevalent in approximately 1.2 million people in the United States alone. 

In Venker’s speech, he hopes to convey “how representations of people living with HIV can negatively affect our desires to stop it.” After interning at a Taiwanese non-governmental organization (NGO) centered around Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) two summers ago, Venker was struck by the virus’ intricate and neglected effects. “It was just so easy to be overlooked. And it applies not just in Taiwan and not just in America, but everywhere,” he said.  

Though enthusiastic to share his insight and passion with others, Venker clearly recognizes the overarching theme of the event: the power of integrative thinking. “I’m really interested to learn about things that I don’t even begin to understand,” he commented. “It’s always good to get ideas outside of your experiences – it’s like they’re almost completely new to you.”

The idea was originated by Ole Nick Kang ’12. Notorious around campus, Kang was formerly featured in our Campus Cutie and Campus Celebrity columns, and is especially known for his works regarding community connection and development. While Kang’s latest project is STO Talks, he is founder of the Smart Step Youth Association, a former Davis Project Grant recipient and co-director of Pause security. He is also an integral part of both the Campus Community Connection Honor House and Oles Advancing Social Innovation and Sustainability. Furthermore, he pursued an individually-designed major in Social & Community Development as well as a Biology major.  

After much consideration, Kang formed a passionate and talented team to help make his visions a reality. This year’s Planning Committee included: Julia Coffin ’12 (Speaker Liaison & Event Coordinator), John DeFrance ’12 (Marketing & Media Director), Juan F. Yanqui R. ’14 (Production & Media Director) and Sudip Bhandari ’14 (Volunteer Coordinator). 

The first conference session includes professors Steve Soderlind, Sherry Saterstrom and William Sonnega; alumni Elliot Robia ’10, Lars Leafblad ’99 and Ishanaa Rambachan ’08 and lastly, student speakers Matt Venker ’12 and Bjorn Mellum ’12. 

The second conglomeration of speakers features professors Ibtesam Alatiyat and Mary Carlsen; alumni Brenda Berkman ’73 and Greg Carlson ’82 and finally, students Ben Auch ’12 and Richard Aviles ’13. 

Unfortunately, registration for the event is closed. For those without tickets, the event will be streamed live from the Pause Jungle, Pause Lair, Viking Theatre and online through both www.stotalks.com and the St. Olaf website. 

All attendees should pick up their ticket the day of the event either outside of Stav Hall between 11 a.m. and 12:50 p.m. or in Buntrock Crossroads between 3 and 3:30 p.m. 

While STO Talks is a one-day conference, it will hopefully act as a platform for rich discussion, problem solving and increased awareness in students and other attendees (both literally and virtually) alike far after the event itself. Furthermore, the conference itself will make its second debut in 2013, and hopefully in the subsequent years. Her Campus St. Olaf photographer Rachel Buchmeier ’13 will take over the reigns next year. She will be supported by other directors-in-training: Anne Brooker ’13, Isaac Rysdahl ’14 and Steven Wett ’15. 

For further information about STO Talks, visit www.stotalks.com or check out their Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/stotalks

On behalf of Her Campus St. Olaf . . . best of luck to all speakers, both faculty and students. And a huge, well-deserved THANK YOU to all who orchestrated the event. We wholeheartedly commend you for your efforts. 

Bri attends St. Olaf College in Northfield, Minnesota and is majoring in Psychology with concentrations in Media Studies and Women's Studies. She is most passionate about writing, traveling, cooking, hand-written letters and cheering on the Minnesota Vikings and Wisconsin Badgers. In her free time, she enjoys running, photography, attempting to blog and spending time with her amazing family and friends. She is currently an Arts & Entertainment Editor for the St. Olaf College newspaper with the lovely Lucy Casale and aspires to further explore the field of journalism after graduation.