StO-Style: Steal Liz Lemon’s Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Anyone who knows me well knows that I am completely obsessed with NBC’s 30 Rock. The show’s comedic wit and memorable characters never cease to make me laugh, and I always make time in my busy schedule to watch the most recent episodes every week. The show is on its 6th season and I am not ashamed to say that I have watched every single episode, most of them twice or more (I blame Netflix instant streaming).

The show’s main character Liz Lemon, played by Tina Fey, is my favorite character on the show. Liz is hilarious and witty, and a bit of a lovably-awkward nerd. Liz is the head writer for the show TGS with Tracy Jordan in New York City, and has to put up with the antics of her fellow writers and actors on the show. Liz goes through many bizarre slapstick experiences because of her dysfunctional social and love lives, all under the guidance of her boss and mentor, Jack Donaghy. While their relationship is one of mutual dependency, Jack and Liz often toss insults back and forth and seek to one-up each other.

Liz’s many notable catchphrases include “Blurgh!”, “nerds”, “I want to go to there”, “Shut it down!” and my personal favorite, “By the hammer of Thor!” Liz has so many great one-liners that NBC put out a “Sh*t Liz Lemon Says” video.

Liz has a very distinct style that I love to channel on days when I’m going for a more polished but casual look. Her style can only be described as nerd-chic, and isn’t complete without her signature pair of black rimmed glasses. If you don’t already have glasses and want to fully embody Liz Lemon’s style, there are plenty of fake glasses out there that you can pick up for a steal.

Liz always dresses simply and her outfits consist of blazers, sweaters, and a pair of jeans. She never, ever wears sandals and is disgusted by the mere idea of walking around essentially barefoot in the city, even during the summer. In one episode she tells Jack that she wore sandals, but they were over socks and in a dream. Instead, Liz prefers to stick with Converse tennies or other cute flat shoes, like oxfords. When Liz does dress up, she prefers simple sheath dresses and heels to anything showy or flashy.

Outfit #1

Blazer $40 – hm.com, Skinny Jeans $96 – boutique1.com, SIlver Boyfriend Watch $225 – neimanmarcus.com, White Button-up $25 – oldnavy.gap.com, Oxfords $60 – stevemadden.com, Chandelier Earrings $25 – jcpenney.com

This outfit is one that Liz is most often seen in. She effortlessly blends work-chic with casual for her long days and nights at the office writing sketches. Pair a blazer with a white button-up (or even a chambray shirt), blue jeans, and cute oxfords. Liz tends to keep her jewelry very simple and practical, hence the boyfriend watch. I decided to include the fun chandelier earrings because in the episode “The Fabian Strategy” her then-boyfriend Capt. Carol Burnett, a pilot played by Matt Damon, gives her a pair of dangly earrings he found in the first-class bathroom of his plane.

Outfit #2

Plaid Shirt $26 – buckle.com, Black Jeggings $100 – generalpants.com.a, Oversize Tote Bag $30 – amazon.com, Sweater $30 – weekday.com, Rhinestone Studs $48 – katespade.com, Converse $45 – jildorshoes.com

Two of Liz’s signature pieces are plaid shirts and Converse sneakers. Pair these two items with a comfy sweater and the perfect black jeans. Simple studs and a practical tote bag finish the look.

To me, Liz Lemon is not only has great style, but the way she lives her life is also inspiring. No matter what hilarious situation she’s thrown into, or how many boyfriends have dumped her to go to clown college (2), she manages to find comedy in her life and look back on experiences with a laugh.

Do you watch 30 Rock? What TV characters inspire your style and/or life?

Remember to laugh and stay fashionable, St. Olaf!

Styleboards from Polyvore / Liz Lemon photo from https://psyc2301.wikispaces.com/Liz+Lemon

Katie is a recent graduate (and proud alum - UM YA YA!) of St. Olaf College, a small liberal arts college in Minnesota. A true Minnesota girl through and through, Katie was formerly a fashion blogger and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus St. Olaf College before becoming a contributing writer for the national site. She currently works as a marketing assistant and is interested in further pursuing a career in marketing, PR, journalism, editing...(she has no idea, if you can't tell). Katie is passionate about traveling and wants to stamp up her passport as much as possible. Katie enjoys social media, blogs, Speculoos cookie butter, dressing for success, fashion magazines and extensively quoting pop culture in social situations (especially 30 Rock). Her one party trick is knowing all the words to "Freaks and Geeks" by Childish Gambino.   
Founder and executive editor of the St. Olaf chapter of Her Campus, Lucy Casale is a senior English major with women's studies and media studies concentrations at St. Olaf College. A current editorial intern at MSP Communications in Minneapolis, MN, Lucy has interned at WCCO-TV/CBS Minnesota, Marie Claire magazine, and two newspapers. Visit her digital portfolio: lucysdigitalportfolio.weebly.com