StO-Style: Printed Jeans

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Looking for a new, fun way to shake up your wardrobe? Then you’ve come to the right place! This weeks StO-Style article is all about the current printed jeans trend happening in the fashion world. When I first witnessed this trend while perusing my favorite fashion blogs, I was skeptical of its wearability. How could a trend like this be flattering? But after seeing it all over runways and the blogosphere (and after one fateful trip to Target), I am officially a printed jeans convert. They’re the perfect way to break out of your normal outfit mode while still looking fashionable and trendy. Read on for printed jeans picks, my favorite blogger looks, and lastly, how I wore this trend!

Top Row: 1. Tribal Printed Jeans $80 – warehouse.co.uk, 2. Unicorn Print Skinny Jeans $71 – topshop.com, 3. Monochrome Triangle Print Jeans $34 – asos.com, 4. Jordan Jeans $76 – topshop.com, 5. Leopard Print Jeans $50 – urbanoutfitters.com Bottom Row: 6. Aztec Print Skinny Jeans $72 – asos.com, 7. Galaxy Print Skinny Jeans $229 – mytheresa.com, 8. Grey Floral Print Jeans $68 – asos.com, 9. Colored Floral Print Jeans $190 – net-a-porter.com, 10. Metallic Snake Print Jeans $39 – johnlewis.com [Styleboard from Polyvore] 

As you can see from the style board I created, there are numerous variations of printed jeans out there. Floral print and leopard print jeans are especially popular, but I couldn’t resist throwing in some other cool patterns. My favorite pairs are #2, #4, and #10. The unicorns on #2 are absolutely adorable and so whimsical. Pair #4 is probably the loudest pair on this style board, but I love how bright and funky they are. In regards to pair #10, all I have to say is: metallic snake print. Can you get any more fabulous?

How Fashion Bloggers Wore Printed Jeans: 

[Cheetah is the New Black blogger in jean jacket; The Man Repeller blogger in green polka dot jeans; Gal Meets Glam blogger in pink floral jeans] 

Cheetah is the New Black is one of my most recent blog obsessions. I can’t get enough of Alicia’s casual yet polished style, and I love her signature red lips. I love how she paired her Citizens of Humanity jeans (#9 on the style board) with a jean jacket and a leopard print bag. Don’t be afraid to pair denim with denim if your jeans are printed! And of course, mixing prints like Alicia did is always a great way to experiment with your look (more on that down below!).

Oh Leandra. Where would we be without you? Leandra of The Man Repeller is the fearless pioneer of all quirky fashion trends and is one of my personal fashion heros. Her ability to create an aesthetically pleasing outfit is unparalleled. I love her green polka dot jeans, especially their Audrey Hepburn-esque cigarette pant silhouette.

Gal Meets Glam is another great blog that I find myself checking daily. Julia knows how to make a simple outfit pop in all the right ways. I would have never thought of pairing such bright floral jeans with brown neutrals, but Julia pulls it off flawlessly.

My Take on Printed Jeans

[Look #1 Casual for Class (with green cardigan); Look #2 Mixing Prints (with plaid and stripes); Look #3 Monochrome for Going Out] 

As I mentioned before, I was unsure about the printed jeans trend until on one of my frequent trips to Target, I stumbled upon these jeans. I knew I had to have them the minute I saw them, and the price didn’t hurt my budget. I didn’t fully consider how I was going to wear them before I bought them (impulse buyer much?) but since then have found numerous ways to style them. They add a bit of fun to every outfit and I’ve received numerous compliments on them.

Look #1 is how I style the jeans for a regular day filled with classes and homework. Wanting to keep it simple, I let the jeans do the talking and add one other element of interest: my favorite bright green cardigan. Paired with loafers, a simple white v-neck, and a chunky necklace, this outfit lets me breeze through any busy day.

Look #2 is a little more on the wild side. I’ve been into mixing prints lately, and paired the leopard with plaid and stripes. While even I’ll admit this look is a little out there, why not take a few fashion risks once and a while? If you’re interested in this look, here’s a great guide to mixing prints.

I decided to go monochrome for Look #3. While I like to wear color, I appreciate the pulled-together vibe that a monochrome look gives off. Besides, when you have fabulous leopard jeans, you don’t need much else to create a statement! I paired the jeans with pieces in the same color family – a simple grey t-shirt, a dark grey moto jacket, black booties, and a black purse. Now, I am a complete printed denim convert. I’m hoping to hunt down a floral pair in the next couple of weeks that I can style like Alicia and Julia did above.

What do you think of printed jeans? Would you ever buy a pair? If you own a pair already, how do you style them? Break out your fancy pants and stay fashionable, St. Olaf!

Katie is a recent graduate (and proud alum - UM YA YA!) of St. Olaf College, a small liberal arts college in Minnesota. A true Minnesota girl through and through, Katie was formerly a fashion blogger and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus St. Olaf College before becoming a contributing writer for the national site. She currently works as a marketing assistant and is interested in further pursuing a career in marketing, PR, journalism, editing...(she has no idea, if you can't tell). Katie is passionate about traveling and wants to stamp up her passport as much as possible. Katie enjoys social media, blogs, Speculoos cookie butter, dressing for success, fashion magazines and extensively quoting pop culture in social situations (especially 30 Rock). Her one party trick is knowing all the words to "Freaks and Geeks" by Childish Gambino.   
Founder and executive editor of the St. Olaf chapter of Her Campus, Lucy Casale is a senior English major with women's studies and media studies concentrations at St. Olaf College. A current editorial intern at MSP Communications in Minneapolis, MN, Lucy has interned at WCCO-TV/CBS Minnesota, Marie Claire magazine, and two newspapers. Visit her digital portfolio: lucysdigitalportfolio.weebly.com