StO-Style: Lutefest Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Of all the things that happen on campus in the spring, Lutefest has to be the most fun and crazy. If you’ve never experienced Lutefest before, you’ve probably at least heard about it. Lutefest is not to be missed – St. Olaf has some really great student bands and there is no better way to spend one of your last free weekends before finals dancing and being silly with all your friends.

Lutefest is also a great time in terms of fashion. The overall vibe of Lutefest is very hippie and boho- fringe, and maxi skirts and sandals can be seen in abundance. For tips on what to bring and wear to Lutefest, read on!

Lutefest Essentials
Blanket: preferable to sit on rather than scratchy grass.
Hat and sunscreen: protect yourself from the sun’s rays with a fashionable hat (or a Lutefest trucker hat) and some SPF. I am extremely adamant about using SPF. Getting burned hurts and increases your chances for developing skin cancer. Plus who wants to be sore and peeling the week after Lutefest? Not me!
Water bottle: Along with any other beverages you may be sipping, bring a bottle of water with you. This Saturday is supposed to be in the 70’s, and sitting around in the sun for hours on end is a recipe for dehydration. Don’t ruin your Lutefest with a trip to the hospital!
Sunglasses: Give your eyes a rest from squinting in the sun by wearing some fashionable shades (cat eye, anyone?)
Camera: Lutefest is a great time to snap some hilarious pics of fellow Oles’ crazy antics. Just make sure to keep track of your camera with either a wrist strap or a neck strap.

Outfit Tips
-Make sure that your clothes and shoes are comfortable enough to dance in!
-Wear light layers so that you can take off, or add on, pieces depending on the weather.
-Anything goes! Feel free to make your outfit as crazy as you are. Seeing the outfits other Oles have put together for Lutefest is part of the fun!
-If you are lucky enough to snag a Lutefest t-shirt this week, make it your own by cutting it like this, this, or this (even more ideas here!) If you plan on getting a white one and tie-dyeing it, check out these folding techniques to create a cool pattern!

Outfit idea #1:Hippie Chic

Fringed Tee $26 – monki.com, Jean Shorts $50 – quiksilver.com, Feather Sandals $40 – dsw.com, Feather Earrings $5.80 – forever21.com, Crochet Bag $21 – hm.com, Aviators $130 – stefanibags.com, Bracelets $13 – delias.com, Fedora $58 – madewell.com

Channel your inner hippie with fringe and feathers! This outfit is the perfect blend of fun and practical. Feathered sandals allow you to dance all afternoon, a cropped tee and shorts keep you cool, and a fedora and aviators protect you from the sun. Add accessories and a bag to stash your phone and camera, and you’re ready to go!

Outfit Idea #2: Flower Child

Lace Crop Top $75 – thegrandsocial.com.a, Bandeau $20 – topshop.com, Strappy Sandals $32 – wallisfashion.com, Floral Maxi Skirt $65 – fatface.com, Wide Brim Hat $26 – zara.com, Round Sunglasses $13 – monki.com, Emerald Fringe Bag $58 – nastygal.com, Pendant Necklace $50 – jcrew.com, Gold Studs $25 – charmandchain.com

Pair your favorite maxi skirt with a cropped lace top for a look that is perfect for dancing and lounging in the grass with your friends. Grab a wide brimmed floppy hat and John Lennon-esque sunglasses to shield your face, and finish the look with pops of fresh green.

If you want to go all-out, grab some body paint and have your friends paint cool designs on you! Just be sure to test the paints the day beforehand on your skin to make sure they don’t make you break out. Check out this video by Free People for inspiration!

While Lutefest is typically seen as an opportunity to throw caution to the wind in terms of beverage consumption, please make sure that you are doing it safely. Make sure to eat and drink lots of water, and keep an eye on your fellow concert-goers to make sure they are doing the same. You can still have a good time while being responsible, and Lutefest is much more fun if you can remember it the next day (and not just with pictures).

Stay safe this Lutefest and be fashionable, St. Olaf!

Style Boards from Polyvore

Katie is a recent graduate (and proud alum - UM YA YA!) of St. Olaf College, a small liberal arts college in Minnesota. A true Minnesota girl through and through, Katie was formerly a fashion blogger and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus St. Olaf College before becoming a contributing writer for the national site. She currently works as a marketing assistant and is interested in further pursuing a career in marketing, PR, journalism, editing...(she has no idea, if you can't tell). Katie is passionate about traveling and wants to stamp up her passport as much as possible. Katie enjoys social media, blogs, Speculoos cookie butter, dressing for success, fashion magazines and extensively quoting pop culture in social situations (especially 30 Rock). Her one party trick is knowing all the words to "Freaks and Geeks" by Childish Gambino.   
Founder and executive editor of the St. Olaf chapter of Her Campus, Lucy Casale is a senior English major with women's studies and media studies concentrations at St. Olaf College. A current editorial intern at MSP Communications in Minneapolis, MN, Lucy has interned at WCCO-TV/CBS Minnesota, Marie Claire magazine, and two newspapers. Visit her digital portfolio: lucysdigitalportfolio.weebly.com