StO-Style: Inspired by Istanbul

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Istanbul has been an amazing city to have the privilege to explore. The city has such a rich history and is an interesting blend of Eastern and Western influences. I would like to think that I have seen a good portion of Istanbul, but the city is so large that there’s no way I would ever be able to cover it in the five weeks we’re here!

A few of my favorite sights in Istanbul are the Hagia Sophia, the Blue Mosque and the Grand Bazaar. Each site is special in its own way and, while they get a reputation for being somewhat touristy, the places warrant a visit during any time spent in Istanbul. Read on for outfits inspired by the beauty of these three important landmarks!

The Hagia Sophia

The Hagia Sophia, built in 360 A.D., was first used as a Greek Patriarchal cathedral during the Byzantine Period and later was converted into a Roman Catholic cathedral under the Roman Empire. Then, it was used as a mosque during Ottoman rule and, in 1935, the site was turned into a museum. It’s an interesting blend of East and West just like Istanbul, with both Arabic script and Christian mosaics on the walls. The Hagia Sophia is rather unassuming on the outside, but the inside glitters like jewels. Take a page from this important sight and adorn yourself with black and gold, the dominant colors inside the Hagia Sophia. Add a pop of emerald in the form of an accessory for interest!

Dress: £60 – lipsy.co.uk, Tights: $15 – modcloth.com Earrings: £16 – oasis-stores.com, Clutch: $156 – shopbop.com, Large Link Bracelet: $75 – piperlime.gap.com, Small Link Bracelet: $78 – shopbop.com, Flats: $100 – jildorshoes.com

The Blue Mosque

Known as Sultanahmet Camii to Turks, the Blue Mosque is the largest mosque in Turkey. It has six minarets, allegedly because the designer misheard Sultan Ahmed’s request for gold minarets and thought he asked for six. Throw on some blue skinny jeans with a tunic to channel the mosque’s color scheme, and add gold accessories to echo the gold decorations on the top of the Blue Mosque’s domes and minarets.

Tunic: $21 – dorothyperkins.co, Jeans: $33 – kohls.com, Necklace: $68 – lordandtaylor.com, Earrings: €41 – pret-a-beaute.com, Sneakers: $69 – asos.com

The Grand Bazaar

The Grand Bazaar is quite the experience – it is overwhelming and exhilarating at the same time. There are always hordes of people there, and shopkeepers frequently pester you to take a look at their goods. Despite these things, it’s fun to browse through the endless stores and try your hand at bartering (I’m still not very good at it – it’s an art!). Items that frequently can be seen in the Gand Bazaar are rugs, evil eye jewelry, scarves and leather sandals. Pick up a pair of brocade cigarette pants in a paisley or oriental-type print to channel a classic Turkish rug, and grab the latter three in any complimentary color. Simple!

Top: $32 – topshop.com, Pants: $90 – topshop.com Scarf: £24 – jigsaw-online.com, Top Bracelet: $75 – scoopnyc.com, Bottom Bracelet: $24 – metroparkusa.com, Sandals: $50 – heels.com, Necklace: $50 – jcrew.com

Even if you’ve never been to Istanbul, take some fashion inspiration from its popular sights and stay fashionable, St. Olaf!

*Photos by Katie Sieger, Style Boards from Polyvore

Katie is a recent graduate (and proud alum - UM YA YA!) of St. Olaf College, a small liberal arts college in Minnesota. A true Minnesota girl through and through, Katie was formerly a fashion blogger and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus St. Olaf College before becoming a contributing writer for the national site. She currently works as a marketing assistant and is interested in further pursuing a career in marketing, PR, journalism, editing...(she has no idea, if you can't tell). Katie is passionate about traveling and wants to stamp up her passport as much as possible. Katie enjoys social media, blogs, Speculoos cookie butter, dressing for success, fashion magazines and extensively quoting pop culture in social situations (especially 30 Rock). Her one party trick is knowing all the words to "Freaks and Geeks" by Childish Gambino.   
Founder and executive editor of the St. Olaf chapter of Her Campus, Lucy Casale is a senior English major with women's studies and media studies concentrations at St. Olaf College. A current editorial intern at MSP Communications in Minneapolis, MN, Lucy has interned at WCCO-TV/CBS Minnesota, Marie Claire magazine, and two newspapers. Visit her digital portfolio: lucysdigitalportfolio.weebly.com