StO-Style: Get your arm party on!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Hey StO-Stylers! Do you like sparkly things? Are you jewelry obsessed? Then the arm party is one fête that you can’t afford to miss! This eye–catching trend has been going strong for a while now and is one that you can recreate on the cheap.

So, what exactly is an arm party anyways?

Arm Party– mixing a myriad of different bracelets on either one or both wrists for maximum sartorial effect; a term coined and a trend pioneered by the hilarious Leandra Medine of The Man Repeller (if you haven’t checked out her blog yet, do it right now. She is super hilarious!).
Here are a few links for visual inspiration:
http://www.manrepeller.com/2011/06/extensive-look-at-arm-party.html
http://www.refinery29.com/cool-bracelets

When it comes to the arm party, the rule book goes out the window. Anything goes, including mixing metals, mixing materials, and piling on more than seems necessary. Simple, no? If you need a little help getting started, I put together a basic formula for the perfect arm party. Read on!

Step One: statement bracelet + a watch   

(top row, left to right) Golden stripe bracelet, $30 – jcrew.com, Turquoise and gold watch, $33 – asos.com, Armour silver bracelet, $27 – weekday.com, Multi-chain bracelet watch, $20- jcpenney.com
(bottom row, left to right) Silver boyfriend watch, $18- nordstrom.com, Spiky Leaf stretch bracelet, $27 – asos.com, Crystal stretch bracelet, $48- nordstrom.com

Start off your arm party with an attention getting statement bracelet. Look for a bigger cuff with interesting detail and aesthetic appeal, like tiny gold leaves or bright crystals. This will create a focal point on your arm. Next, add a watch. Not only are watches practical, they also serve the purpose of adding contrast to the shape of your arm party, as the circular face of the watch balances the straight lines of your other bracelets.

Step Two: rhinestones + studs + spikes

(top row, left to right) Rich blue facet coil bangle, $10 – oasis-stores.com, Arouge bracelet, $20- supertrash.com, Neon shoelace wrap bracelet, $38 – couture.zappos.com, Spike link bracelet, $27 – asos.com
(bottom row, left to right) Rhinestone bracelet, $6 – charlotterusse.com, Pyramid studs bracelet, $25- topshop.com, Shaped studs bracelet, $30 – espritshop.com

I know what you’re thinking: studs? Spikes? Is she serious? Trust me on this one. Studs and spikes are very hot right now, especially in terms of accessories. They will add just the right amount of bad-girl-chic to your arm party. Still not keen on the idea? Balance out the studs and spikes with sparkly rhinestones! 

Step Three: friendship bracelets + string bracelets

(top row, left to right) Plaited leather bracelet, $11- warehouse.co.uk, Rhinestone rainbow friendship bracelet, $40 – maxandchloe.com, Feeling moody bracelet, $20 – juicycouture.com (middle row, left to right) Crystal bead bracelet, $13- houseoffraser.co.uk, Skull bead friendship bracelet, $15 – asos.com (bottom row, left to right) Pieces paprika friendship bracelet, $16 – asos.com, Stacked friendship bracelets, $9.98 – aldoshoes.com, Rana double cube bracelet, $28 – whistles.co.uk

Fill in the gaps on your wrist with friendship, bead, and string bracelets. These bracelets are so simple that you can even make them yourself. Head to your local craft store, grab some embroidery floss and a few charms, and you’re good to go! Google friendship bracelets patterns if you want some like the rhinestone rainbow friendship bracelet or the stacked friendship bracelets. Friendship bracelets are simple to make and take minimal time and skill. 

So what do you get when you follow these steps?

[Above: My personal take on the arm party.]

The perfect arm party! The beauty of this trend is that it is amazingly simple. All you need is a bunch of bracelets, a little imagination, and a wrist (or two). Use what you have, make what you don’t, and buy a few bracelets that strike your fancy if your budget affords it. And remember, more is more! So pull out those bracelets and stay fashionable, St. Olaf!

Style boards from http://www.polyvore.com/

Katie is a recent graduate (and proud alum - UM YA YA!) of St. Olaf College, a small liberal arts college in Minnesota. A true Minnesota girl through and through, Katie was formerly a fashion blogger and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus St. Olaf College before becoming a contributing writer for the national site. She currently works as a marketing assistant and is interested in further pursuing a career in marketing, PR, journalism, editing...(she has no idea, if you can't tell). Katie is passionate about traveling and wants to stamp up her passport as much as possible. Katie enjoys social media, blogs, Speculoos cookie butter, dressing for success, fashion magazines and extensively quoting pop culture in social situations (especially 30 Rock). Her one party trick is knowing all the words to "Freaks and Geeks" by Childish Gambino.   
Founder and executive editor of the St. Olaf chapter of Her Campus, Lucy Casale is a senior English major with women's studies and media studies concentrations at St. Olaf College. A current editorial intern at MSP Communications in Minneapolis, MN, Lucy has interned at WCCO-TV/CBS Minnesota, Marie Claire magazine, and two newspapers. Visit her digital portfolio: lucysdigitalportfolio.weebly.com