StO-Style: Finals Week Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

As you all may be relieved to know, this semester is coming to a close. Personally, I am both astounded at how fast these past months went and relieved it’s almost break. Spending two weeks doing nothing but watching 30 Rock on Netflix and hibernating sounds like heaven right about now. But of course, first we have to clear the hurdle that is finals week.

Finals week has to be the most stressful time on campus. It’s also the time where it’s extremely important to be efficient with your time. Streamlining your routine allows you more hours for studying and sleeping, two important things you should be doing in large quantities during this week. One thing that you shouldn’t be spending time on is your outfits. While you obviously don’t want to be wasting time planning elaborate ensembles, you don’t want to ride out finals week looking like a total slob either. Wearing clothes that are both comfortable and cute will allow you to focus on the tasks at hand. I don’t know about you, but there is something about wearing sweatpants that makes me want to slack off, sleep, or both.

With that in mind, I put together two no-fuss outfits to help you get out the door faster this week so you have more time to study!

Look #1: Studying in the Library

Vintage Thermal Henley$35- jcrew.com, Grey Lurex Snood $28- missselfridge.com, Black Jersey Leggings $25- oasis-stores.com, Plaid Flannel $40- hollisterco.com, Olive Cable Cocoon Sweater $35- dorothyperkins.com, BLOWFISH Houston Grey Booties $25- jildorshoes.com

During finals week, you will most likely be spending a lot of time in the library. The library is the perfect place to go for some cramming – it’s quiet, there are a bounty of comfy chairs, and there are tons of nooks and crannies to settle into and study to your heart’s content. I love studying in the library, but find it hard to be in there for more than a few hours at a time. Why? Rolvaag is downright frigid. I am convinced they air condition it year round. One way to beat the cold while studying is to swaddle yourself in layers of warm fabrics.

First, start off with a henley, preferably one with a waffle knit. Then, add a cozy flannel shirt and an oversize sweater. To keep your legs warm, grab a pair of knit leggings, which are a great alternative to sweatpants. Finish off your look with a scarf, a pair of booties, and some warm socks. I recommend getting some SmartWool socks. My friends like to make fun of me for having such funky socks during the winter months, but they really keep your feet toasty. Get a pair here: http://www.smartwool.com. The trick to this look is the amount of layers you put on. If you’re too hot, you can always take off the sweater or the flannel. If you are still chilly in Rolvaag even with multiple layers, consider bringing a blanket in with you. I have personally done this before and have seen others do it too. While this suggestion may seem a little extreme, during finals week anything goes. A blanket would also come in handy if you need to take a study break snooze!

Look #2: Exam Time

Palm Fronds Tee $33- lespommettes.com, Studs $35- topshop.com, Jeans $44- dorothyperkins.com, Purple V-Neck Cardigan $50- jcrew.com, Flat Lace-Up Ankle Boots $50- zara.com

You want to make sure that you are dressed comfortably when actually taking finals, but also in a way that makes you feel confident and prepared. Start off with a brightly colored t–shirt and pair it with a colored cardigan. Wearing bright colored clothing will make you feel awake and cheery, lending to a positive outlook and confidence during exams. Cardigans are also extremely versatile pieces and will come in handy if your exam room is colder than expected. Then throw on your favorite pair of jeans, a pair of cute shoes, and simple jewelry. Now is not the time to fashion yourself an arm party like I discussed in last week’s article (http://www.hercampus.com/school/stolaf/sto-style-get-your-arm-party). You don’t want to be clanking in bangles and weighed down with heavy necklaces or rings when you’re trying to focus on an exam.

The solution to looking cute during finals week is to keep it simple and wear layers. Don’t stress over what you’re wearing when there are so many other things that demand your attention. Study hard, eat right, sleep lots and before you know it, it will be December 20 and we’ll be home-free for the holidays!

So crack open those books and stay fashionable, St. Olaf!

Style boards from http://www.polyvore.com

Katie is a recent graduate (and proud alum - UM YA YA!) of St. Olaf College, a small liberal arts college in Minnesota. A true Minnesota girl through and through, Katie was formerly a fashion blogger and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus St. Olaf College before becoming a contributing writer for the national site. She currently works as a marketing assistant and is interested in further pursuing a career in marketing, PR, journalism, editing...(she has no idea, if you can't tell). Katie is passionate about traveling and wants to stamp up her passport as much as possible. Katie enjoys social media, blogs, Speculoos cookie butter, dressing for success, fashion magazines and extensively quoting pop culture in social situations (especially 30 Rock). Her one party trick is knowing all the words to "Freaks and Geeks" by Childish Gambino.   
Founder and executive editor of the St. Olaf chapter of Her Campus, Lucy Casale is a senior English major with women's studies and media studies concentrations at St. Olaf College. A current editorial intern at MSP Communications in Minneapolis, MN, Lucy has interned at WCCO-TV/CBS Minnesota, Marie Claire magazine, and two newspapers. Visit her digital portfolio: lucysdigitalportfolio.weebly.com