This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Hello fashionistas!

Sometimes, it’s the little things that make the most impact. It’s the details in the fabric that make an outfit interesting. Whether it is tiny aspects that you emphasize as a reflection of your personal style or simple additions you use to complete a look, the little things count. When creating a look, paying attention to detail can turn a good outfit into a cohesive, put-together, and well-styled one. 

Here are some little things to pay attention to as you pull together a look:

Small Cuffs

Adding a small cuff to your pants is an easy way to add dimension to your look. Simply roll the bottoms of your pants once or twice to create balance in your outfit from top to bottom. It is easy to forget balance when getting dressed. Sometimes a look might get too “top-heavy” with necklaces, earrings, scarves, vests, you name it. This cuff adds both style and balance. Try it with ankle booties for an adorable look.  

The Half-Tuck

The half-tuck is a new trend that is really easy to accomplish. It’s not only easy to do, but is also very stylish! You can do this with just about any top that is a bit loose. Loosely tuck the front of your top into your pants to create an effortless look. Try a collared shirt, a chambray, a silk blouse, a simple tee or even a sweater! This little styling detail adds that extra oomph to the overall look. Give the half-tuck a try!

Accent Color

Another small style point that makes a huge impact in an outfit is adding a pop of color. Break up a monochromatic look by wearing a neon belt, a colorful scarf, bright flats or a statement bracelet or ring. Supplementing your look with a bit of color is pleasing to the eye and makes your outfit exciting.  

Socks

Like the small cuffs, wearing socks that peek out from the top of your boots adds balance and dimension to your look. Showing your socks also adds visual interest (and keeps your feet warm!). This little detail pulls a look together and makes your boots even more adorable and eye-catching. Another idea is to look for leg warmers to wear with tall boots. Since some socks don’t go up as high as you might like, leg warmers could be the perfect fix!

Lips and Nails

As a fashionista, you know that creating a cohesive look involves paying attention to every part of the body, even the little details of lips and nails. These are the little things that really do pull the whole look together. If you’re not big into lipstick, try a gloss to add shine or a light lip stain. The same goes for nails. Try a neutral color that will go with any wardrobe, like navy, tan, blush or grey. These tiny details makes a world of difference for pulling a look together!

Subtle Details

When I am shopping, I often fall in love with simple pieces that have subtle but adorable details. We all know the couple of items in our closets that have intricate and inventive details you can see only by looking closely. I think it is these little things that make items worth purchasing. Whether it is unique buttons, delicate stitching, an embellished collar, zippers, felted elbow-patches or a one-of-a-kind print, these details matter. 

Keep these little things in mind when bringing your look together!

Stay fashionable, Oles!

Cover Photo, Small Cuff, Half-Tuck, Accent Color, Socks, Lips&Nails, Subtle Details

Kate Roy is a junior, Psychology and Dance double major at St. Olaf College. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus St. Olaf, she enjoys writing, editing, and helping her fellow Oles get their voices heard. Kate is involved in CompanyDance, the modern dance company at St. Olaf. In her free time, Kate loves to spend time with friends, listen to music, browse Her Campus, flip through fashion magazines, and eat chocolate.  Kate is a fashionista and has a passion for all things dealing with fashion. She works at Madewell, and enjoys getting experience in the fashion world. Kate headed the Her Campus St. Olaf College style blog, StO-Style (now Snapshot), for the 2013-2014 school year. She loved this position and hopes to continue her fashion writing in the future. Kate is extrememly excited to share the position of Campus Correspondent for the 2014-2015 school year and expand her involvement with St. Olaf's Her Campus Chapter.