StO Mystique: What makes Frozen so Progressive?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

This winter the movie that has been all the rage is the new Disney movie Frozen. Many people have talked about and raved over this movie. And rightly so – there are many progressive things in this movie that have nothing to do with the incredibly catchy songs like “Let it Go” and “Love is an Open Door.” So, the question is, what makes this movie so new, different and progressive? And what makes it relevant to understanding gender and what lessons there are to teach to young children?

One of the most important lessons of this movie is the act of “true love” at the end of the movie that saves Anna. It is not an act of romantic love from what turns out to be a manipulative fiancé, but is instead the love that she shares for her sister, which she shows by sacrificing her life to save Elsa’s. This is the lesson we should be teaching young boys and girls of the next generation. There is much more to the idea of “true love” than just that of romantic love. The love we share for our family is often even stronger than that held for a significant other. This is a lesson that I think should not be treated lightly. It is important to remember that a romantic love is not what you need to be complete. Families are incredibly important for us as people and a society for they are the ones that have to put up with us even when we might not deserve it.

This movie also shows Elsa as an incredibly confident and empowered women. She realizes that after having lived the majority of her life in fear that she is no longer going to let fear control her. Female empowerment is starting to become a new trend in, highlighted within the recently-made Disney Princess movies like Tangled and Brave. This is a huge difference from when Disney Princesses just sat around and waited to be saved by their Prince, like Sleeping Beauty or Snow White. Our generation is calling out for movies that exemplify values that are important for a Twenty-First century woman, and self-empowerment and confidence are some of these very important traits. By having Elsa sing a song about how to “Let it Go,” the film shows every young girl that they don’t need to be afraid and that they are everything that they need to be just by being who they are. You should not have to change yourself to fit in with society.

Another progressive aspect of this movie is that finally Disney acknowledges that marrying someone whom you just met is absolutely insane and absurd! Having Elsa not only refuse to give Anna and Hans her blessing, but also by having her actually say, “You can’t marry a man you just met,” it shows the clear lack of logic that has been prevalent in Disney Princess movies since the start. No one in real life would ever suggest that you marry a man or woman you literally just met, this is an idea that is only existent in fairy tales, and for good reason. Expecting to live happily ever after with a man you just met has been proven to not work. How many married people do you know? And how many of those married people have gotten a divorce at some point? Exactly.

These are only three out of many of the incredibly progressive ideas existent within Frozen, however I think these are some of the most important lessons and ideas to be picked out of the movie. With new writers and directors like the people who wrote Frozen, hopefully more Princess movies  will come to teach important lessons to the young boys and girls of the next generation, lessons about family, friendship and love when you are ready for it. Disney movies are a great way to teach young kids moral lessons but we need to make sure we are teaching them the right ones. I greatly respect this movie and hope everyone has gone to see it or will see it soon.

Here is a great link to some more progressvie aspects of Frozen: 7 reasons Frozen is progressive.

Picture Credits: Elsa and AnnaAnna saves ElsaElsa Walking, You can’t marry