Songs to Bring the Sunshine to Back to Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Before coming to St. Olaf, I was told the same thing over and over: Get ready for those harsh Minnesota winters. I’m from Illinois, but even though I experienced the Polar Vortex first hand, I was a bit concerned. Luckily, or unluckily depending on with whom you talk, this current Minnesota winter was weak. Now I don’t know if it’s Global Warning (oh right, Global Warming is a hoax) or what, but this winter has been warm. There was a week of 60-degree weather. People on campus wore shorts and sundresses. The already friendly community became more pleasant. But after the week of happiness and sunshine passed, the winter dreariness was back. The sound of birds chirping turned back into the rustle of wind. The iced mochas turned back into hot mochas. The afternoons slacklining turned back into afternoon naps. The “I’m great, how are you”‘s became “I’m tired and stressed,” once more. So what do we do to add the pep back into our steps and bring the sunshine back to winter? This is St. Olaf. The answer is always MUSIC. 

Here Comes the Sun (George Harrison)

If you say the sun is coming enough, it WILL come! 

Put Your Records On (Corinne Bailey Rae)

This song is perfect for the nappy type of day. It’s chill but it has an upbeat quality great for amping up the sunshine. 

Mind over Matter (Young the Giant)

If you put your mind over the matter that it’s COLD and DREARY, maybe your mood will increase. Just keep telling yourself, “It’s warm and sunny,” walking to your 8 am despite the icicles forming on your eyelashes. Mind Over Matter…you got this.

5 Years Time (Sun, Sun, Sun) (Noah and the Whale)

“Oh well, in five years time we could be walking round a zoo with the sun shining down over me and you…And there’ll be sun, sun, sun.” The song reminds us to look to the future! In a few months, there will be the sun!

Clair de Lune (Claude Debussy)

This classic is scientifically proven to increase dopamine levels. Increased dopamine translates directly to bringing the sunshine to a winter day. It is a great study song because it does not distract. 

Walking on Sunshine (Katrina & the Waves)

Dear Human who doesn’t immediately start dancing to this song,

Are you even human?

Pocketful of Sunshine (Natasha Bedingfield)

“Do what you want, but you’re never gonna break me. Sticks and stones are never gonna shake me. No, oh whoa.” Winter, you will not break me because I keep the sunshine in my pocket. 

Kailey is from Crystal Lake, IL. She is a first year at St. Olaf College and loves When Harry Met Sally, the color yellow, and chocolate.