Osama Bin Laden dead: An Ole reacts to America’s reaction

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

May 1 began with the same ritual as every other Sunday night – procrastinating on Facebook –until an unexpected announcement appeared on my Newsfeed:  “Osama Bin Laden is dead.” My initial reaction was disbelief. Could the search really be over? 

While the nation waited nearly an hour for President Obama’s speech, post after post popped up on Facebook, reacting to Bin Laden’s death. Some expressed wishes that he burn in hell. Others wrote celebratory remarks, while still others were afraid of retaliation. Some people could only express shock, at a loss for the right words.

A little part of each of us may have felt shock or fear, or maybe even joy and a sense of justice.  How are we supposed to react to the news that Public Enemy Number One, the man who had evaded the world for so long, had suddenly been eliminated?

Before all else, we should be proud of our military, which has worked tirelessly to find Bin Laden and help make America safe. They have shown persistence and dedication in our country’s fight against terrorism. As evidenced that night, Americans expressed their patriotism nationwide.

In Washington, crowds gathered in front of the White House and sang “God Bless America.” Crowds also congregated in New York around the former site of the Twin Towers, taking the opportunity to remember the victims of the atrocious acts of terrorism committed on 9/11.  For these victims, we started and continue our fight against such hatred and violence.  

Initially, my roommate and I could only sit silently in surprise. Later however, as I talked with friends, we all shared a similar inner conflict: no matter who had died, celebrating a death seemed too strange. While watching videos from other colleges that had started street parties over Bin Laden’s death, we felt a mixture of shock and disgust. I’m proud of my fellow Oles for not enacting our own types of riots. While there was a buzz in the dorms and some shouts outside, Oles were able to keep their reactions classy. 

Although we can easily get caught up in celebration, we must keep the situation in perspective. Bin Laden was in many ways an embodiment of evil. Certainly, the world is better off without his doctrine of hate. Still, we sacrifice American integrity when we let our hatred cause us to rejoice in a death. 

To express excitement over anyone’s death is to lack reverence for the sanctity of human life. This is not an occasion on which we should light fireworks in the street. Instead, we should quietly acknowledge his death as a necessary step toward international peace, as well as show our respect for those involved in this brave mission.

We also have to be mindful that Bin Laden’s death is not the death of terrorism. The fight is not over; peace has not yet been won. With one leader gone, another will be reinstated. As countless reporters and government officials have cautioned, now is the time to be vigilant. Patriotism is vital for a healthy nation, but we also need to be mindful to express ourselves in a respectful and appropriate manner. While doing so, we should band together to demonstrate even greater support for our country as we continue this fight for worldwide safety.

[*Photo credits: http://www.mirror.co.ukhttp://www.telegraph.co.uk ]

Founder and executive editor of the St. Olaf chapter of Her Campus, Lucy Casale is a senior English major with women's studies and media studies concentrations at St. Olaf College. A current editorial intern at MSP Communications in Minneapolis, MN, Lucy has interned at WCCO-TV/CBS Minnesota, Marie Claire magazine, and two newspapers. Visit her digital portfolio: lucysdigitalportfolio.weebly.com