Ole Fit: One Hour Workout

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Hello fellow Oles!

Ever wonder how much time you should spend on each part of your workout? We all know that it’s important to do cardio, core, lifting, stretching… The list goes on and on.  You could spend all day at the gym if you really wanted to! However, most of us have other things to do than hang out in our sweats. So this week, I’d like to talk about how you can maximize your workout in one hour.

Without further ado, here is how I would recommend splitting up the one hour you’ve allotted yourself for a visit to Skoglund:

Core/Pushups: 6 minutes

To warm yourself up, start out with five minutes of core. Pick five to ten exercises and alternate between them every 30, 45, or 60 seconds. This variety keeps your core workout from getting boring. After core, do three sets of 15 pushups to get those shapely arms we all desire.

Cardio: 36 minutes

36 minutes of cardio may seem very specific, and you’re right- it is! The reason I recommend 36 minutes is because it is divisible by three. (Bear with me; I’ll explain.) 36 minutes is a lot of time to sit on a bike. So, to prevent a workout from getting boring, I like to switch between three different forms of cardio. My favorite set goes like this: 12 minutes spinning on a bike, 12 minutes on the elliptical, and 12 minutes of jogging. However, you can also use the stair machine, the normal bikes, or even the rowing machines. Know that each form of cardio burns a different amount of calories and works different muscle groups. However, each exercise is as hard as you make it. Don’t be afraid to go for it! The only way you improve is by pushing yourself.

Plus, you can do anything for 12 minutes.  It’s not that long.

Lifting: 13 minutes

As someone once told me, cardio makes your body smaller, but lifting makes your body shapely. As such, lifting is a super important part of any workout. If you’re unsure of how to begin lifting (let’s be honest- the weight room is intimidating!), refer to my article “Ole Fit: Weight Training” or type “weight training basics” into the Pinterest search bar! All you need to do is find a full-body program that works for you.

Stretching: 5 minutes

Haha I wish.

Don’t forget to cool down and stretch our your sore muscles after a great hour of working out! This will help you recover and maintain flexibility. Stretching is also really important for preventing injuries, so don’t even think about skipping this step!

There you have it, Oles! Your basic guide to a one hour workout. One last note- don’t be afraid to lengthen, shorten, or change my suggestions. This is the system that works best for me, but you’ll only find what works best for you with experimentation! After all, that’s part of the fun of working out!

Stay fit, Oles!

coverpush-ups, cardio, lifting stretching

Maggie is a junior at St. Olaf, currently majoring in Spanish and Latin American Studies with a concentration in media studies.  She runs for the St. Olaf cross-country and track teams, writes for the school newspaper, and tries to do her homework in the downtime. Maggie enjoys spending time with her family and friends, reading, biking, skiing, and swimming.  She's excited to be a part of the Her Campus community!  Um Ya Ya!