Ole Fit Athlete of the Week: Grace Freeman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.
Get to know our Athlete of the Week, Ultimate player Grace Freeman!
1. Hometown: Eden Prairie, MN 

Year/Major: 2017, Biology and Environmental Studies majors

2.  Sport/Position: Women’s Ultimate Frisbee – Handler

2. Favorite music to work out to: A little embarrassing to admit, but Eminem always gets me through a long run or set of ladders. 

3. Best sports memory: Playing with Durga at Nationals last year. We came in with a wildcard bid and no expectations but surprised everyone – even us! – by finishing one of the top 5 teams in the nation. 

4. Favorite part of playing on a college sports team: I absolutely love my team! My teammates come from such different backgrounds and have different involvements on campus, so without Frisbee, I probably wouldn’t have the chance to meet a lot of them. We practice three  times a week from September through May, spend tournament weekends (sometimes many in a row) together in close hotel quarters,  go on spring break together, get meals, study, workout or just throw together every chance we get. Seriously… without my team I don’t think I’d have friends on campus!!! More than that though, I love being a part of a team in which each person is responsible to the larger group. We train with each other, push each other, support each other and ultimately play for each other. That kind of bond is something pretty awesome and I can’t think of a better way to get that than playing for my team.

5. Inspirational athlete?: I like to remember that even Kobe airballs sometimes. (And if you haven’t seen his documentary Muse, it’s worth a watch!)
6. Any pregame rituals or superstitions?: I don’t know if it counts as superstition or just an ultimate thing, but when the team puts our hands in for a cheer we always use our non-throwing hands. Cheers can get rowdy and you gotta protect the goods!!!  

7. Favorite food after a hard practice: I love getting breakfast with the team after an intense morning practice and before classes. There’s nothing better than cheesy eggs and bagels with the girls!

8. Other extracurriculars or activities you’re involved in on campus: Work at Tostrud and in Student Activities. 

10. Any sports-related advice?: I like to take a minute now and then to remember why I play. Do I play because it’s fun, I like the competition and rush of a win or because I simply can’t imagine my life without Ultimate? Do I like the personal challenge or being part of something larger than myself? We have a bit of a tradition on the team about playing for someone (usually a teammate or friend) who is giving 110%, and I like to remember that when a game gets tough or a practice is intense. Play your hardest for someone else because you know they are giving their all for you.

*Images provided by Grace Freeman