Ole Abroad (Dan): Halloween: More Good Times in Al-Misr

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Marhaba!

This was a great week in Egypt for me. It was full of times with friends and just the basic enjoyment of life. After the stress of midterms that most people experienced, the majority of AUC was ready to let loose and have a good time during Halloween weekend. First my friends had a get together on Thursday night at their apartment. This was nice, as I was able to just chill and relax with friends. Their apartment is spacious. We had shisha and sat around and talked, watched a couple movies some in Arabic and some in English. During the day on Friday I went out with friends, mostly to get our Halloween costumes ready. One of my friends was dressing as a police woman, another was dressing as a hippie and the other as a gypsy. My costume, on the other hand, was a bit more controversial but most definitely fun. I was dressing in half drag on my face. One eye was with makeup, my fingernails had nail polish (blue and purple), and I wore a white shirt that was ripped but said “Gaga ain’t got nothin’ on me.” I also wore a huge red-feathered boa. I definitely respect women and all of the work that they put into their appearance after experiencing a fraction of what some women do every morning. Then came the huge Halloween party on Friday. This was definitely one of the highlight of the weekend. The party was at another friends apartment in Zamalek. It was a huge party with an enormous amount of people. I went to the party with many friends including two Moroccan friends, one half-Egyptian and a Nigerian friend. That party was full of both international students and Egyptians. It was a lot of fun and I really enjoyed myself. Today, Monday (the actual Halloween) I went with my friends to a sports bar to watch my favorite soccer team, Sevilla FC, as they were showing their game at the bar. Unfortunately, it was a disappointing loss for my team but I think better results will soon come for the Rojiblancos. ‘Til next week.
Ma’asalama
My friends Aaisha and Mia at the Halloween party.  

Bri attends St. Olaf College in Northfield, Minnesota and is majoring in Psychology with concentrations in Media Studies and Women's Studies. She is most passionate about writing, traveling, cooking, hand-written letters and cheering on the Minnesota Vikings and Wisconsin Badgers. In her free time, she enjoys running, photography, attempting to blog and spending time with her amazing family and friends. She is currently an Arts & Entertainment Editor for the St. Olaf College newspaper with the lovely Lucy Casale and aspires to further explore the field of journalism after graduation.