This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Let’s face it- after a drink or two, you feel much more relaxed and often quite cheeky, but excessive drinking is not conducive to good sex.  Here are four reasons why:

Whiskey Dick

Alcohol actually decreases blood flow throughout the body, which is a key component in arousal. Having too much to drink makes it difficult for a man to achieve and maintain an erection.

Harder to orgasm

Paired with the dulled sensation that accompanies intoxication that same decrease in blood flow makes it harder to orgasm for both men and women. Your night might end up less thrilling than imagined.

Sleepiness 

Alcohol is a depressant the decreases brain function and awareness.  After a few drinks, you may be longing for your bed and a box of Reese’s Puff rather than a steamy rendezvous.

Risky Behavior

Most importantly, decreased inhibition and impaired judgment increases risky behavior patterns associated with sex. It may seem like anything goes but forgoing protection and birth control often has its consequences.

The bottom line is that sex and alcohol might not mix as well as rum and coke.

CoverFlower, Sleepy, Condoms