This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Hey ladies! This week we’re talking about birth control – there are many myths out there about birth control, so I’m here to help set the record straight!

Myth One: If I take birth control, I will gain weight. This is a misconception that comes from some original forms of the pill. The pills that our mothers took had a much higher dosage of hormones and had much more varied effects than today’s forms of birth control. Pills today generally have a lower dosage of progestin and estrogen, and the negative side effects are greatly reduced. In fact, they have many positive side effects including better control of acne! Still, every prescription varies, so discuss the best option with your doctor.

Myth Two: I have to take my pill at the same EXACT time everyday. It is important to take birth control pills at a consistent time everyday, however it does not need to be exact. Purely progestin pills are much more fickle and precision is much more important, however timing is a little lenient (usually an hour around the usual time). Most pills today are a mix of progestin and estrogen and are a bit more lenient, but once again, it is important to discuss this with your doctor before starting the pill.

Myth Three: Using a condom makes sex less enjoyable. It is true that condoms change the sensation for men a little, but it is definitely a stretch to say that it makes sex less enjoyable! There are many types of condoms today, so it is easy to see what works best. There are ribbed and studded types that actually increase sensation. Still unconvinced? Try putting a small drop of lube in the condom before intercourse for your guy’s pleasure!

Myth Four: I want to take an oral contraceptive, but they are too expensive. Actually, birth control is relatively inexpensive. With insurance the copay is usually very low and sometimes even free. Another option is to stop by a local women’s clinic and see what options they offer. Often they can find an inexpensive option for you.

Myth Five: You need to give your body a break from birth control/need to cleanse every few months. I believe that one of the Kardashians tried to cleanse their body from birth control, but this is totally unnecessary. Birth control is perfectly safe to take for extended periods of time. In fact, a yearly cleanse or break from birth control puts you back at square one, because birth control is not immediately effective when starting again.

Myth Six: Birth control is immediately effective. As myth five begins to point out, this myth is untrue. Birth control is actually considered ineffective for the first month of use. It takes time for your body to adjust to the pill, and it is very important to use another form of birth control for that first month.

Myth Seven: Oral contraceptives protect against STI’s. NO. This is completely untrue. In order to protect yourself from STI’s you must use a condom, and even then, there is a risk. If you are sexually active, routine exams are imperative for reproductive health.

Myth Eight: Birth control is a taboo subject, and I feel ashamed to talk about it. Taking birth control has become a common and accepted practice. According to the CDC, “Virtually all women of reproductive age in 2006–2010 who had ever had sexual intercourse have used at least one contraceptive method at some point in their lifetime (99%, or 53 million women aged 15–44), including 88% who have used a highly effective, reversible method such as birth control pills, an injectable method, a contraceptive patch, or an intrauterine device.” So, if you are taking birth control, you are in the majority! It is a safe and effective way to prevent an unplanned pregnancy and there is NOTHING to be ashamed about.

CDC Report

Images: Cover PhotoScaleAlarm ClockCondomsBirth Control;Safe Sex