Meet Serena Xiong: Passionate about Public Health

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

The end of fall is a hectic time for many Oles on the Hill, especially for our seniors who are busy looking into graduate schools and applying for things like Teach for America, Peace Corps, AmeriCorps and other jobs. At this time of the year, it’s very common to have feelings of anxiety and excitement for the seniors who will be leaving campus soon. They will be leaving the familiar world of school and venturing out into the real world where they will get the chance to experience a sense of independence and individuality.

Serena Xiong is one Ole senior who will be graduating in May. A biology major, Xiong is also a Phillips Scholar, so the majority of her time has been focused on implementing community service projects these past two years. In a recent interview with Her Campus St. Olaf, Xiong shared that she is currently applying for jobs at public health programs, and she is especially looking into programs that focus on community health, epidemiology and international health. She is hoping to be enrolled in a master’s program for the fall semester of 2013. 

“I’m extremely passionate about service work, especially serving and meeting the needs of those who are underserved and marginalized,” Xiong said. This passion stems from her own past. Xiong grew up in a marginalized community where there were many unmet public needs, including health care, health education resources, and financial support.

Even though Xiong has a lot on her plate, during downtime she listens to music, learns about Public Health issues and stays active. Xiong admits that these past two years have been incredibly busy for her since much of her focus has been on implementing the Phillips Community Service Project.

However, she still makes time for extracurricular activities, including TRiO ETS Mentoring, Badminton Club, Hmong Women Dialogue, Hmong Culture Outreach, Northstar STEM Scholars and Intramurals including volleyball and soccer.

This past interim, Xiong studied abroad in Hawaii and Micronesia to study the health and culture of Polynesian communities, and through this experience she was able to learn about global and public health firsthand.

Xiong admits that her biggest accomplishment is studying abroad because it spiked her interest in doing research on international health, especially when seeing the existing health disparities in Hawaiian and Micronesian communities.

Her advice to underclassmen? Xiong encourages everyone to study abroad at least once during their St. Olaf undergraduate career – and not let finances stop you because, she says, there are scholarships out there that you can apply for. Last but not least, Xiong advises: “be really proactive about your career and undergraduate development – seek out the Piper Resource Center.”

Her Campus St. Olaf wishes Xiong the best in her future endeavors!

Founder and executive editor of the St. Olaf chapter of Her Campus, Lucy Casale is a senior English major with women's studies and media studies concentrations at St. Olaf College. A current editorial intern at MSP Communications in Minneapolis, MN, Lucy has interned at WCCO-TV/CBS Minnesota, Marie Claire magazine, and two newspapers. Visit her digital portfolio: lucysdigitalportfolio.weebly.com