Kailee’s Tunes: Music Boxed In

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Most people that have heard of St. Olaf College are also aware that it is pretty well known for its music department and outstanding ensembles. St. Olaf has a huge number of music majors, both Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Music. In fact, it is the third most popular major on the Hill, beaten only by mathematics and the natural sciences. Because so many students choose music as their major, there is an abundance of music courses provided at the school. But is it still not enough?

Since there is limited music faculty at St. Olaf (and the department poured a lot of money into making the Music Box this past year), only music majors are allowed to take the music classes such as music theory, composition, and history. That’s all well and good for those that major in music, but what about those of us that are non-majors but still love music?

The only opportunities allowed for non-music majors is to join the large ensembles and/or sign up for music lessons. Most of the large ensembles, which are in three categories: band, choir, and orchestra, require an audition. Students don’t need an audition for music lessons, but there is limited space and music majors get first priority.

“I can’t take music theory because I’m a non-major, but it is the one class that I desperately need and it restricts me from furthering my music education,” a fellow Ole adamantly said concerning her love of music but inability to sight read.

It is understandable that the people studying music extensively should get the top priority in music courses and lessons, but perhaps the department should be provided with more funding and faculty. As a freshman non-music major, I have struggled with the concept that the furthest my music education can proceed here is to get into music lessons, which I so happened to be waitlisted for this semester due to too many music majors already in voice lessons. It is an unfortunate reality at St. Olaf, but if you are a non-music major you can’t really do much musically because the department is “Music Boxed in”.

Founder and executive editor of the St. Olaf chapter of Her Campus, Lucy Casale is a senior English major with women's studies and media studies concentrations at St. Olaf College. A current editorial intern at MSP Communications in Minneapolis, MN, Lucy has interned at WCCO-TV/CBS Minnesota, Marie Claire magazine, and two newspapers. Visit her digital portfolio: lucysdigitalportfolio.weebly.com