Kailee’s Tunes: Just let ’em play

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Michael Jackson allegedly molested little boys, Chris Brown assaulted Rihanna and Adele is having a baby. All of these juicy news stories have one thing in common: they have nothing to do with these artists’ musical talents. Everyone has secrets they don’t want others to know, but the media makes it their job to uncover celebrity’s secrets. It may be entertaining for some people to learn every detail of a famous musician’s life, but knowing those secrets don’t benefit anyone. Celebrity gossip just ruins the said person’s reputation, and he or she is no longer appreciated for their skill as a musician.

It is extremely important to be up to date on current events, but it is better to be informed of worldly, national, and local news, rather than just gossip. People, Seventeen, Us Weekly, OK!, and many other gossip magazines feed off of scandals of Hollywood stars and musicians, which quite frankly, aren’t significant to the society as a whole.

If you truly are a music lover, then all of these garbage stories shouldn’t affect your view on a band or artist. As fellow Ole, Joey Romness said, “We have such a materialistic society that we get too involved in the lives of celebrities, when it really has no importance. We should listen to music for music’s sake, unless the person is a mass murderer or something.”

It may be interesting to hear a news scandal about Maroon 5 or Taylor Swift, but don’t fall into the media’s trap. Whether Taylor Swift got became super obese or not (don’t worry she didn’t), shouldn’t affect the music she makes so it shouldn’t affect her fans. Just let them play what they came to play and leave their personal lives out of the equation.

Photo credit: http://thyblackman.com/2012/09/17/rihanna-chris-brown-back-together-yes-…

Bri attends St. Olaf College in Northfield, Minnesota and is majoring in Psychology with concentrations in Media Studies and Women's Studies. She is most passionate about writing, traveling, cooking, hand-written letters and cheering on the Minnesota Vikings and Wisconsin Badgers. In her free time, she enjoys running, photography, attempting to blog and spending time with her amazing family and friends. She is currently an Arts & Entertainment Editor for the St. Olaf College newspaper with the lovely Lucy Casale and aspires to further explore the field of journalism after graduation.