Game Day: Reflections on the NHL Lockout

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

It’s a little surprising that I haven’t written about the NHL lockout up until now. I’ve been closely following the news (or lack thereof) regarding the NHL lockout.  I’ve been reluctant to write about it because I’ve been holding out for an agreement.  As we approach Day 80 of the lockout and have cancelled 422 games (along with the iconic Winter Classic and All-Star Game), I’m coming to terms with the fact that the 2012-2013 season may be completely lost.  Fans feel cheated as players and owners both act seemingly greedy. But, at the same time, the fans sometimes are unaware of the issues at hand.  Hopefully I can shed a little light on the situation. 

The lockout officially began on Sept. 15, 2012.  The labor dispute has resulted from the fact that the NHL’s collective bargaining agreement (CBA) expired.  Gary Bettman, the league’s commissioner and target of frustration for disgruntled fans, declared a lockout after an agreement was unable to be reached.  There have been three lockouts since Bettman’s appointment as commissioner in 1993. The owners wish to reduce the hockey related revenues (HRR) of the players, which is currently 57%.  Among the other demands of the owners are to introduce contract term limits, change free agency rules and eliminate salary negotiation. On Oct. 16, Bettman offered a 50-50 reveune split, which was altered from the owners’ original proposal to lower the players HRR to 46%.  The Player’s Association presented three counter-proposals, but to no avail.  The league then withdrew its proposal, refusing to negotiate unless the players used the 50-50 split as a starting point.  

The sides still seem to be far apart.  For obvious reasons, the players disagree with the owner’s proposals.  They are unwilling to take drastic pay cuts. The most recent update stated that the sides wished to meet sans mediators to negotiate more directly.  It seems to me that both sides can be considered the bad guys; as a fan, each side’s argument is bordering on ridiculousness, which makes the dispute even more frustrating. NHL players saw their salaries increase from an average of $1.4 million to $2.4 million in the last eight years since the last lockout.  They’ve cried wolf for a little too long on the basis of standing by their principles.

The business of professional hockey is losing between $18 and $20 million a day.  Cities with NHL teams have been badly affected by the labor stoppage.  Team employees have taken pay cuts and some have been laid off.  Most players look elsewhere in order to avoid losing an entire season of play. Nearly 170 players sought employment in European leagues such as the Russian KHL.  The most talented players are still getting paid in Europe, so it’s clear that the owners have the most to lose here.

One of the most frustrating aspects of the lockout is that the new CBA will only last for a few years.  At that point, we may be in this same mess yet again.  Another crucial point concerns the fringe fans.  Will these casual fans come back to the sport of hockey and be financially and emotionally invested in a league where lockouts continually loom on the horizon?  There is still hope for salvaging at least a partial season, but in the meantime, fans will remain disgusted and frustrated at both sides.

Photo Credit: Google Images