Fram Fram to Fitness: Weight Watchers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Hello HC Fitness readers! Last week I told you about my new semester endeavor, the T-15 pounds until my birthday plan. And as I like to put it, it has gone great, yet I haven’t lost any weight. I have been so diligent about doing hard workouts this week, but I haven’t been as conscientious at counting the calories or serving sizes of the food I eat. So what’s my plan, you might ask? I have decided to join Weight Watchers Online, to be the next Jennifer Hudson obviously. Kidding about that, but I did join Weight Watchers and have decided to see how it goes. I know it will be super helpful in determining what I can and cannot eat to lose weight. This week, I am going to give you some healthy tips that I learned from my first day on Weight Watchers to help those snacking urges. And for all of you who are 21+, I’ll also suggest some special drink options.

If you aren’t familiar with the Weight Watchers guidelines, here is a brief overview. The gist of it is, you have a certain amount of points a day allotted to you depending on height, current weight, etc. I have a daily amount of 29 points and keep track with the Weight Watchers calorie counter. So I figured I’d include some common foods with their point usage to demonstrate what’s healthy and what’s not. Even though these points don’t tell you the calories, I think from the little descriptions I have made, you can tell what is healthy and what is more of a treat.

I also looked up points for some of the different foods in the cafeteria that I really enjoy munching on. Keep in mind some of the ingredients of a sandwich might be a little different in the cafeteria, but it is about the same point usage. Here are a few examples of food you can eat in the cafeteria:

Tuna salad sandwich on two slices of whole wheat bread with tomato and lettuce- 8 points
¼ cup feta cheese – 3 points
Cottage cheese 1 cup – 5 points
Chicken breast – 3 points
1 plain bagel – 8 points
Cupcake with frosting – 6 points

Also included is a list of points for drinks that are geared toward those 21 and over. I hate to say it, but if you are like me and those margaritas and pina coladas are your favorites, you might have to switch that for a light brew. Otherwise, plan your day accordingly if you’ll be stopping by “El Tequila” that night for a fish bowl margarita.

Light Beer 5 oz – 5 points
Red Wine 5oz – 4 points
Cranberry and Vodka 5oz – 5 points
Pina Colada 6 oz. – 10 points
Margarita 6oz – 14points

So until next time, keep moving and making healthy choices. I know I will be, especially with this new food plan. I’m looking forward to seeing some results.
Weight Loss: 0 pounds
Weight Goal: 15 pounds 

Bri attends St. Olaf College in Northfield, Minnesota and is majoring in Psychology with concentrations in Media Studies and Women's Studies. She is most passionate about writing, traveling, cooking, hand-written letters and cheering on the Minnesota Vikings and Wisconsin Badgers. In her free time, she enjoys running, photography, attempting to blog and spending time with her amazing family and friends. She is currently an Arts & Entertainment Editor for the St. Olaf College newspaper with the lovely Lucy Casale and aspires to further explore the field of journalism after graduation.