Fram Fram to Fitness: Go out there, have some fun!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Hello HC Fitness Readers!
I realize that spring break is almost upon you, and from my past experiences as I mentioned in one of my first blogs, this can coincide with a great deal of stress! (Midterms anyone?)  However, no need to fear. If you have been going along this fitness journey with me, or even if you are just joining, I have full faith that you are adding some healthy exercises and eating habits during your mid-term studying.

Possibly you will be running to the Arb at Carleton—if you haven’t done this yet, do it! It’s one of my favorite things to do at Olaf. Or perhaps you are taking a few trips to the gym and rewarding yourself with a healthy snack; an apple with peanut butter–yummy. My point is despite the stress of school you can push through those mid-terms and make healthy choices. You can do it!

[Photo: Me at a beach in Dunedin, New Zealand]

Go out there and have some fun! I am actually using this mantra for myself right now, as I do a seven day detox diet! Wait, what? Even I find myself questioning the fact that I am actually doing this—considering I have always scoffed at these diets, believing that they are just diet fads; and honestly typically they are. You lose weight fast, but does it really last in the long run?

My curiosity to do this week long die, was sparked by another one of my flatmates here in New Zealand, Nicole who has been talking about it for a while now. As I heard and read more and more about this diet, I thought I should try it along with her. It would definitely be a great experiment for my blog, and frankly I wanted to prove to myself that I could be this disciplined with my eating.

On day three of this detox I can tell you a few things from experience, you feel cleansed, more aware of your eating habits wether healthy or not, and you feel that you are becoming a rabbit (I have eaten so many carrots, I can’t even begin to tell you). Truthfully, whether or not this is a beneficial weight loss or health benefit I have yet to tell, but I as I continue my road to healthiness, it is becoming more apparent that I am gaining more and more control of my health in making health conscious decisions.

I’m motivated and feel incredibly supported by my friends and family and it pushes me to try new things while gaining more awareness of my food and exercise choices. I hope to give you a blog where you can feel encouraged and ready to take on a healthy lifestyle. So for this week I want you to take a break from your studies, and go out and conquer some activity. Mainly because well, you can do it!

Bri attends St. Olaf College in Northfield, Minnesota and is majoring in Psychology with concentrations in Media Studies and Women's Studies. She is most passionate about writing, traveling, cooking, hand-written letters and cheering on the Minnesota Vikings and Wisconsin Badgers. In her free time, she enjoys running, photography, attempting to blog and spending time with her amazing family and friends. She is currently an Arts & Entertainment Editor for the St. Olaf College newspaper with the lovely Lucy Casale and aspires to further explore the field of journalism after graduation.