Fram Fram to Fitness: Chocolate for your heart

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

In light of the recent Easter holiday, when we wake up to find baskets filled with candy and other goodies, the consequential guilt is inevitable. Every sweet tastes like ten pounds, and yet you lose all self-control because it also tastes so good. So I’m here to help you stand up for your indulgence and make a very bold statement: Ladies….chocolate is good for you. Well, dark chocolate anyway.

Reason Number 1: Chocolate comes from plants and therefore contains antioxidants, which prevent aging and protect against heart disease brought about by damage from free radicals. These antioxidants (called flavonoids) also help to relax blood pressure and balance certain hormones. Fun fact: chocolate contains up to eight times more antioxidants than strawberries.

Reason Number 2: Dark chocolate not only lowers blood pressure but also reduces LDL cholesterol (the bad kind) by up to 10%.

Reason Number 3: Dark chocolate stimulates the production of endorphins, inducing happiness and serotonin, an anti-depressant.

Reason Number 4: Not all the fats in chocolate are bad for you. In fact, onlya third of it raises cholesterol and increases the risk for heart disease. Another third of it has a neutral effect, and the remaining third of it is health, monounsaturated fat.

Reason Number 5: Your risk of stroke might be reduced by about 20%, according to studies reviewed by the American Academy of Neurology.

Reason Number 6: The polyphenols in dark chocolate prevent the oxidation of LDL cholesterol, therefore reducing plaque build-up in your arteries. These polyphenols also slow clumping of blood platelets, reducing clotting.

Reason Number 7: Dark chocolate has less added sugar and is NOT the rogue responsible for causing acne. That would be milk chocolate.

It is best to avoid a lot of the added sugars and fillings that companies put in chocolates, because these can counteract and probably even trump the health benefits. Go for pure dark chocolate, perhaps with nuts or some sort of fruity additive like orange peels. Try not to over-indulge, because there are still a lot of calories. Nutritionists recommend no more than 3.5 oz a day to get the health benefits of dark chocolate. Finally, avoid milk to wash it down, because this can flush away the antioxidants, and make sure to brush your teeth, because you don’t want to get cavities!

Maybe next year give up chocolate for Lent, and then you won’t feel quite so guilty. As they say: everything in moderation.

Happy Easter!

Bri attends St. Olaf College in Northfield, Minnesota and is majoring in Psychology with concentrations in Media Studies and Women's Studies. She is most passionate about writing, traveling, cooking, hand-written letters and cheering on the Minnesota Vikings and Wisconsin Badgers. In her free time, she enjoys running, photography, attempting to blog and spending time with her amazing family and friends. She is currently an Arts & Entertainment Editor for the St. Olaf College newspaper with the lovely Lucy Casale and aspires to further explore the field of journalism after graduation.