Fram Fram to Fitness: Benefits of Sprinting and Speed Training

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

It has only taken a little over two months and, as more of a long-distance runner, I am already sick of counting laps around the track in Tostrud. Thus, amongst my 3 to 5 mile runs, I have started incorporating days on which I work on running faster 1 or 2 miles, with a few stretches of sprinting added to the mix. That brought me to wondering about the advantages and trade-offs when it comes to deciding between running for distance versus sprinting to the finish line. To Google!

Interesting fact Numero Uno: While it’s true that periods of sprinting provoke your body to undergo anaerobic respiration and produce more lactic acid, you are actually building up greater efficiency in your body to adapt to and burn up that lactic acid in the long run. Your heart and lungs will work better together during subsequent aerobic activity and use the oxygen in the aerobic phase to convert stored carbs into energy. Therefore, interval training will eventually allow you to workout more intensely for a longer period of time before you feel pain or fatigue. Sweet deal.

2: Interval training can also be applicable as a preventative measure, protecting you from injuries associated with repetitive overuse (like shin splints, perhaps?), as well as overtraining and burnout. And, you’ll be happy to know, it actually burns more calories than longer-distance, shorter-pace running, according to the American College of Sports Medicine.

Check this out from a Livestrong.com article referencing the Mayo Clinic:
“A 160-pound person jogging at a modest 5 mph can burn 580 calories in an hour of work, according to the Mayo Clinic’s website. Work up to an 8 mph pace and burn nearly 1,000 calories in the same amount of time. While you may be unable to sustain the 8 mph pace for the entire workout, speed training with one- to five-minute bouts at the faster speed can increase the overall calorie burn of your workout.”

The article also goes on to say that speed training improves your body’s ability to oxidize stored fat. Apparently this has something to do with increasing the amount of enzymes in your body involved in these energy conversion and fat-burning processes, something I find particularly exciting as a student of Biochemistry.

A few other tidbits, FYI: speed training can lengthen your stride (something I need to work on), build up your muscular strength, and improve your balance, particularly during quick-footed activities. Sprinting also increases the size of the mitochondria in your cells, making them more adept in the storage and release of energy—all very great for your muscles!

For someone who feels at times like I’ve hit the dreaded plateau, I think that speed training will be my next workout venture. I mean, all of this sounds pretty convincing to me, don’t you think?

Founder and executive editor of the St. Olaf chapter of Her Campus, Lucy Casale is a senior English major with women's studies and media studies concentrations at St. Olaf College. A current editorial intern at MSP Communications in Minneapolis, MN, Lucy has interned at WCCO-TV/CBS Minnesota, Marie Claire magazine, and two newspapers. Visit her digital portfolio: lucysdigitalportfolio.weebly.com