The Disintegration of the Perfect Indie Marriage

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Hey everyone! I hope everyone enjoyed their fall break, even though it always seems to go too fast. Over the weekend, I was at an Ultimate Frisbee tournament in Wisconsin and therefore, away from the Internet for a few days. Last night as I was reading through emails and catching up on news from some of my favorite sites, I discovered that Thurston Moore and Kim Gordon, two of the founders of Sonic Youth decided to split up. They had been married for 27 years and from what I can tell, were happy for the majority of them. Although I’m not a huge fan of the band, the news still comes as a shock. On a purely romantic level, seeing a couple break up after remaining together for so long is always disappointing. Witnessing divorce between any two people reminds you that love doesn’t always work out and that’s just depressing.

From a musical standpoint however, separations such as Moore’s and Gordon’s lead you to wonder about the future of the band they’re in. Like I mentioned before, any divorce is upsetting but a divorce within a group that has had a successful career for over 30 years? That’s just tragic. As of now, Sonic Youth will finish some tour dates in South America but beyond that, the future is unclear. Sorry to be a debbie downer for this post. But remember that our generation is lucky because we have great technologies, such as YouTube where we can spend hours watching videos of the couple during better times. Like these

What’re most important to remember though dear readers is that just because this seemingly perfect relationship between two talented adults didn’t work out in the end, it doesn’t mean that your current relationship or future partnership won’t. In fact, you should probably go find your boyfriend or girlfriend and spend some quality time with them. Just maybe avoid listening to Sonic Youth for awhile.

Bri attends St. Olaf College in Northfield, Minnesota and is majoring in Psychology with concentrations in Media Studies and Women's Studies. She is most passionate about writing, traveling, cooking, hand-written letters and cheering on the Minnesota Vikings and Wisconsin Badgers. In her free time, she enjoys running, photography, attempting to blog and spending time with her amazing family and friends. She is currently an Arts & Entertainment Editor for the St. Olaf College newspaper with the lovely Lucy Casale and aspires to further explore the field of journalism after graduation.