Cooking on Campus: Pumpkin Pie Crescent Rolls!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

For many of us, pumpkin pie is our favorite dish on Thanksgiving. We love the taste of the gooey pumpkin filling mixed with the flaky crust. If you are one of these pumpkin pie lovers, then you are in luck. I have found a dorm-kitchen friendly recipe that recreates the flavors and textures of pumpkin pie that we love!

These pumpkin pie crescent rolls are so delicious, and require about half the work real pumpkin pie requires. My favorite part of this recipe is the sugar coating on the outside- it really adds a whole other layer of sweetness to the pumpkin pie taste!

All you need is:
 -2 cans of Pillsbury Crescent Roll Dough
– ½ block of cream cheese
– 1 cup of canned pumpkin
-1 ½ teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
-3 tablespoons sugar

1. Preheat the oven to 375. Open and roll our crescent roll dough and separate into the pre cut sections on a cookie sheet. If you want to increase the quantity, feel free to cut each pre-cut section in half.

2. Mix until creamy and combined together the cream cheese, pumpkin, sugar, and pumpkin pie spice.

3. Scoop a tablespoon full of the pumpkin mixture onto the crescent roll dough. Be careful not to put too much pumpkin mixture on the dough or else the dough will seep out the edges creating a big mess. For extra sweetness, I sprinkled a little sugar and pumpkin pie spice on top of the pumpkin pie mixture after I placed it on the dough. 

4. Roll up the crescent roll dough, starting with the tiny edge. These don’t have to look cookbook perfect, so don’t worry if they end up a little uneven.

5. Next, in a little bowl, combine 4 tablespoons sugar and 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice. 

6. Roll the crescent rolls around in the sugar mixture, making sure the roll is completely covered with the sugar mixture.

7. Bake rolls for 15-18 minutes. 

Enjoy!

P.S. After I made these crescent rolls, I noticed I had leftover pumpkin pie filling. I also had some leftover puff pastry in my fridge from making my Baked Brie earlier in the week. So, I figured I would attempt to make another type of pumpkin pie type of pastry. I spread the pumpkin pie filling on the puff pastry, and rolled it up like a little log. Here is how it turned out!

This recipe turned out equally as delicious as the crescent roll pumpkin pie, so I would encourage you to try this recipe using puff pastry as well!

* Pumpkin Pie Crescent Rolls: adapted from a recipe found on the Pressed Down, Shaken Together food blog (http://shakentogether.blogspot.com/2011/10/taste-this-tuesday-fall-bakin…).

Founder and executive editor of the St. Olaf chapter of Her Campus, Lucy Casale is a senior English major with women's studies and media studies concentrations at St. Olaf College. A current editorial intern at MSP Communications in Minneapolis, MN, Lucy has interned at WCCO-TV/CBS Minnesota, Marie Claire magazine, and two newspapers. Visit her digital portfolio: lucysdigitalportfolio.weebly.com