Cooking on Campus: Monster Munch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Halloween is right around the corner, which means that sweets are filling the grocery store aisles and people are looking for fun and sugary Halloween treats. I found a perfect sugary treat that is easy enough to make in the dorm because it stores easily and lasts for a long time.

Monster Munch is a sugary popcorn mix that has candy corn, peanuts, Reeses Pieces and white chocolate in it. Sound sugary enough for you? Monster Munch is perfect for college students to make because you can easily divide it into little bags an give away to all your friends as a cute little Halloween treat that is a little more unique then just giving them candy. I found this recipe on a online blog ( www.ourbestbites.com).

All you need is:

• 1 package almond bark
  • 12 cups popped popcorn (about ½ cup kernels)
  • 1 cup candy corn
  • 1 cup reeses pieces
  • 1 cup dry, roasted peanuts 
  1. Begin by popping the popcorn and putting in a huge bowl. You can easily do this with microwavable bags of popcorn instead of doing it on the stove. You will need a pretty big bowl to be able to mix all the ingredients together.
  2. Pour candy corn, peanuts, and reeses on top of the popcorn.  
  3. Melt the white chocolate by cutting it up into little pieces and microwave in a microwavable bowl until smooth. Pour the melted chocolate over the popcorn and mix until all combined.
  4. Lay out the popcorn mixture on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper, laying it flat so the mixture can dry. 
  5. Enjoy!

*PHOTO CREDITS: www.ourbestbites.com

Founder and executive editor of the St. Olaf chapter of Her Campus, Lucy Casale is a senior English major with women's studies and media studies concentrations at St. Olaf College. A current editorial intern at MSP Communications in Minneapolis, MN, Lucy has interned at WCCO-TV/CBS Minnesota, Marie Claire magazine, and two newspapers. Visit her digital portfolio: lucysdigitalportfolio.weebly.com