Cooking on Campus: Cookies and Cream No-Bake-Bars

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Writing this Cooking on Campus blog has helped me to realize something about myself: I am slightly obsessed with cookies and cream recipes. I have a urge to make any recipe I come across with “cookies and cream” in the title. I love any recipe with Oreos, as well as any recipe with marshmallow. So, when I found this recipe on Pinterest for Cookies and Cream No-Bake Bars I knew I had to give it a try!

Oreo, marshmallows, butter: what could be better? Not only are these Cookies and Cream bars made with my favorite ingredients, they also are no bake. Essentially Rice Krispie treats with Oreos instead of Rice Krispies, these bars have the same gooey, sticky marshmallow texture everyone loves in Rice Krispie treats. While these bars are delicious, I have to admit they are very messy to make. I wound up having to clean up a good deal of melted marshmallow mess from the kitchen counters, as well as from my fingers.

Despite the mess, I strongly encourage you to test this recipe out. I promise you that even if the bars do not turn out the right consistency, you will still love eating them. You could even add some Christmas spirit to your bars by adding some Christmas sprinkles on top!

All you need is:

• 1 package of Oreos
  • 5 cups large marshmallows
  • 4 tablespoons butter                                                                                                                                                     
  • 1. Line an 8×8 baking dish with buttered parchment paper.
  • 2. In a food processor grind the Oreos. If you do not have one you can crush the Oreos in a plastic bag by crushing them with a hammer or whatever hard object you can find. 
  • 3. Melt marshmallows and butter in a microwavable bowl.  
  • 4. Add Oreos to melted mixture and combine.
  • 5. Transfer mixture to baking dish and press down. Let sit for 10 minutes…and Enjoy!

Source and photo credit: www.Picky-Palate.com 

Founder and executive editor of the St. Olaf chapter of Her Campus, Lucy Casale is a senior English major with women's studies and media studies concentrations at St. Olaf College. A current editorial intern at MSP Communications in Minneapolis, MN, Lucy has interned at WCCO-TV/CBS Minnesota, Marie Claire magazine, and two newspapers. Visit her digital portfolio: lucysdigitalportfolio.weebly.com