Cooking on Campus: Apple Pie Dumplings

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

This week’s recipe is another Thanksgiving themed recipe, this time highlighting apples instead of pumpkin. These Apple Pie Dumplings are very similar to last weeks Pumpkin Pie Crescent Rolls in that they use crescent roll dough, sugar, and a pie filling.

I found this recipe in a cookbook I bought my boyfriend for Christmas called “A Man, A Can, A Plan”. This cookbook is full of recipes catering to young men who have no idea how to cook. The recipes use lots of cans and store prepared ingredients in an attempt to make cooking easy enough for men who hate cooking. I would really recommend buying this cookbook for all the men in your life, especially those men you would love to have cook you a nice meal sometime!

While flipping through the cookbook, I found this recipe for Apple Dumplings and saw that it would be perfect for a dorm recipe. Using only 3 ingredients to produce some seriously sweet flavor, these apple dumplings are perfect for the Thanksgiving season, or anytime during fall. I love the mix of the sugar and the flaky dough mixed with the warm apple pie filling- so perfect to make in the dorms!

All you need is:
-20oz can of apple pie filling
– 1 tsp cinnamon
– 2 8oz can refrigerated crescent roll dough
– ½ tsp sugar

1. Preheat oven to 350. Mix together cinnamon and sugar in a cup. Unroll the dough on a foil lined baking sheet. Separate them into 8 rectangles of dough. 

2. Spread 1.2 cup filling on the dough, leaving a border around the sides.

3. Fold dough over the filling and cut a slit in the top. Sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar over the top. 

4. Bake for 15 minutes! 

Enjoy!

Founder and executive editor of the St. Olaf chapter of Her Campus, Lucy Casale is a senior English major with women's studies and media studies concentrations at St. Olaf College. A current editorial intern at MSP Communications in Minneapolis, MN, Lucy has interned at WCCO-TV/CBS Minnesota, Marie Claire magazine, and two newspapers. Visit her digital portfolio: lucysdigitalportfolio.weebly.com