Celebrate Makeup: How to create a killer look with eyeliner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

So many people have asked me how to use eyeliner. They claim everytime they try to use it, they either get raccoon eyes or nothing appears. Although applying eyeliner can be tricky, with a few helpful tips, it can be as easy as the rest of your daily makeup routine!

Smudge is a big problem when applying makeup. As I mentioned in a previous article where I interviewed our campus makeup icon Jiabai, using eye primer helps a lot. Basically, you don’t have to buy a water proof eyeliner unless you are going to the beach. Applying eye shadow primer on your eyelid will prevent smudge.

After applying the primer, you need to decide what type of eyeliner works for you.

Liquid eyeliners can create a very thin line, but can sometimes be harder to control. Deciding between liquid and pencil liners is all about what kind of look you want to create and how good you are at using drawing lines on your eyelids.

For daily basis, I recommend Revlon Color Stay eyeliner. It is very easy to apply and stays on all day long. Because it is inbetween pencil and gel, it is as easy to use as pencils but has a softer texture, all while keeping the intensity that gel liner offers.

For a smoky look (perhaps for that hoppin’ party), I would pick Maybelline color studio eyeliner gel. It is as good as the gel from Bobby Brown, and it does not smudge that much like the one from BB. After applying a thick line on the bottom of the upper eyelid, use Revlon Color Stay to fill in the water line. Then apply a thin line with any waterproof liquid eyeliner very close to the lashes to create an intense look.

Many people are also very scared of using colors besides black and brown. Like shown in the picture, you can try to add colors like blue on the top of the mainstream, neutral colors. I always draw a silver line right above my black line on my upper eyelids, and use a white one to highlight the inner corners (the corners closer to nose).

Lastly, remember to always blend and complete your look with a similar color eye shadow!

Bri attends St. Olaf College in Northfield, Minnesota and is majoring in Psychology with concentrations in Media Studies and Women's Studies. She is most passionate about writing, traveling, cooking, hand-written letters and cheering on the Minnesota Vikings and Wisconsin Badgers. In her free time, she enjoys running, photography, attempting to blog and spending time with her amazing family and friends. She is currently an Arts & Entertainment Editor for the St. Olaf College newspaper with the lovely Lucy Casale and aspires to further explore the field of journalism after graduation.